Chapter 6

While Markl was helping Howl, me and Sophie baked some chocolate chip cookies for everyone, especially Markl.

"I can't wait to see the look on his face when he comes down here." Sophie said, setting the fresh batch of cookies on a table to cool.

"He's going to be so happy." I added, wiping my hands on my nightgown. I had changed earlier than usual because it was covered in the green slime.

We heard small footsteps coming downstairs and I went to greet Markl.

"Is he settled?" I asked.

"Yeah." He replied with a yawn, but then his eyes went wide at the delicious smell in the air. "Do I smell cookies?"

"Yep! Because you've been such a good helper, me and Sophie decided to make you some cookies!"

"Really!?" He raced downstairs and stopped in front the plate of fresh cookies, a wide smile on his face.

"Thank you!" He exclaimed running and hugging each of us before digging in. "These are amazing!"

"Glad you like them." Sophie said with a smile, taking one for herself and eating it.

"I have another surprise for you, too." I said, getting Markl's newly mended blanket and hiding it behind me. "Close your eyes."

He did and I held it out in front of him. "Ok! You can look!"

He gasped and hugged the blanket. "Thank you, (y/n)! It looks brand new! This is the best day ever!"

He brought me and Sophie into a group hug before continuing to munch on his cookies, a bright smile on his face.

"I think I'd better go check on Howl." I said, getting a glass of milk and a cookie.

"Good luck." Sophie muttered, making me laugh.

I headed upstairs and softly knocked on his bedroom door. "Howl? It's me, are you awake?"

"Yes." Came a weak voice.

I entered and my eyes widened, his room was covered in head to toe in strange shiny trinkets, and in the middle laid Howl in his bed, surrounded by stuffed animals.

"I brought you a cookie and some milk." I said, taking a seat in the chair by his bed.

"That's what that smell was. Cookies." He said weakly.

"Would you like one?"

He shook his head. "Not yet."

"Well, I'll leave it here for when you want it." I got up to leave.

"(Y/n), wait."

"Yes?"

"Stay with me. Please."

I sighed as I sat back down. "All right."

One of his chimes started to ring and he gasped. "The Witch of the Waste is trying to find my castle."

"Sophie said she saw one of her henchmen in the harbor." I added.

"I such a big coward, all I do is hide." He said after a moment. "And all of this magic is just to keep everyone away. I can't stand how scared I am."

"Howl, you are not a coward. When you came in a few days ago covered in burns, it was clear right away to me that you were fighting for the greater good. And that's very brave."

"It was just a couple of airships."

"Just a couple? I couldn't even take down one! It takes a very skilled wizard to do just one."