Chapter 4

Me and Sophie made our way upstairs to find it was almost dirtier than downstairs.

"What a mess!" Sophie exclaimed.

"How do they live like this?" I asked aloud.

We saw a door to our right and I opened it revealing the bathroom, which was easily the filthiest room I've ever seen. There were splotches of color everywhere and it smelled like someone used too much perfume, and the room was still steaming from the bath, which was still full of water. The toilet was a whole other story.

"If you want I can go ahead and start on the bathroom." I offered.

"Yes please." Sophie replied, walking out to clean the hallway.

I opened the window to let out the steam and gasped, the castle was moving. I watched in awe as the Wastes flew by with each step the castle took and admired the beautiful landscape before me.

"Calcifer!" I yelled, running downstairs. "Calcifer, are you the one moving the castle?"

"Of course I am." He replied. "No one else does any work around here."

"I'm so impressed! You are truly a first class fire demon, I like your spark!" I said, running back upstairs.

Calcifer was silent for a moment, letting the compliment sink in. "...she likes my spark!" He cried happily.

I opened the door to a balcony and I could've sworn the castle was moving faster than before. "Sophie! You have to see this!" I yelled.

She was soon by my side, gasping like I did. "Incredible!"

Markl joined us a bit later, telling us that the lake nearby was called Star Lake.

I suddenly noticed a long stick stuck in one of the joints, it looked like it was trying to get out.

I reached down and tried to get it out, but it was really stuck.

"Come one guys, help me get this thing out." I grunted.

They both pulled and soon the stick came free revealing it was just Turnip Head.

"It's a Scarecrow!" Markl exclaimed.

"Yep, we've been calling him Turnip Head." Sophie replied. "He always manages to get stuck upside down."

I suddenly noticed that Sophie seemed to look a bit younger, maybe the spell was finally breaking!

We soon stopped by the lake and got out the laundry, I washed it while Sophie, Markl, and Turnip Head hung it up to dry.

Soon we got out a large blanket with a basket of food and had a picnic lunch, enjoying the fresh air.

"Turnip Head really likes doing the laundry." Markl commented as the scarecrow held out another line of wet clothes.

"Looks like he'll get it dry in no time." I replied, sipping my tea.

"Maybe he's some kind of demon, Calcifer doesn't seem to mind him at all." He continued, biting into his bread topped with salami.

"Maybe, but he led us here so maybe he's the good kind." Sophie said whistfully, looking out over the lake.

After lunch me and Markl both spent the afternoon putting away laundry and talking about all the spells he was learning.

"What's your favorite spell?" I asked, folding a blanket.

"Definitely the one that turns bugs into cookies!" He replied instantly.

"That does sound like a good one!" I laughed.