Chapter 2

"That man was probably Howl! You're lucky he didn't steal your heart!"

"I don't think that was him. And even it if was, he wouldn't do that, that's murder. Breaking hearts sounds more like it."

"Still! What if he did? He would've-"

"I'm very sure he doesn't."

Me, Sophie, and Lettie were all talking about my adventure in the back room of the kitchen, which smelled amazing.

"Well you still need to be more careful! What if he didn't show up to protect you from those soldiers?"

"Then I would've kicked them both in the-"

"Lettie! The chocolate eclairs are done!"

One of Lettie's coworkers called.

"Ok, I'll be right there."

She led us both to the exit, and was now in a conversation with Sophie about why she still runs the shop, but I wasn't paying much attention. I thought I had just seen several more of those blob men go behind a nearby building.

"Come on Sophie, let's hurry."

"Goodbye you two!" Lettie called after us.

"Goodbye!" We replied, hopping onto the trolley home.

We rode back in silence and were soon at the hat shop. Sophie unlocked the door and we both went inside, immediately removing our hats.

"So do you think it was Howl?" Sophie asked.

"I'm honesty not sure." I replied. "I never asked for his name. I wish I did."

Sophie was about to speak again when we heard the doorbell ring and we turned to find a very large lady enter.

"We're sorry ma'am but the shops closed." I said. "Sophie did you lock the door?" I whispered.

"I thought I did."

"My my, what a tacky shop. And you both are by far the tackiest things here." The large woman said.

Sophie went red with anger, but somehow held it in. "I'm afraid you will have to leave now." She said, opening the door. "The shop's closed."

"Standing up to The Witch of the Waste? Now that's plucky."

"The Witch of the Waste?" I exclaimed in shock, she suddenly launched herself at us but I ducked out of the way as she flew past me.

"The best part of that spell is that you can't tell anyone about it. My regards to Howl." With that she closed the door.

I got up off the floor and quickly ran to make sure the door was properly locked this time before turning to check on my sister.

"Sophie are you- OH MY GOODNESS!" I exclaimed. My twin sister was now an old woman. Around 90 by the look of it.

"What? What's wrong?" She asked, then stopped hearing how her voice sounded. She made her way to the mirror as fast as she could and froze. "Oh my! That's really me isn't it? I've got to stay calm and- hey! Why are you still young?"

"I ducked out of the way."

She rolled her eyes. "Of course."

***

I woke up the next morning to the sound of our stepmom knocking on our door.

"Sophie? (Y/n)? Why aren't you two up yet?" She asked.

"Don't come in. We've got a bad cold." Sophie replied.

"Oh my, you sound ghastly! Like some ninety year old woman."