1.2

hey please don't pm me things about how i've "ruined" this story. it took a lot for me to come back to this, and i'm doing what i can to make this something i can be proud of.

also i hope you guys are staying safe and healthy in this crisis. i love you all ((:

- - -

After paperwork and forking over just a bit too much money, (Y/N)'s mother told her to head straight home, where they would get a proper look at the car and decide whether or not it was safe enough to drive for extended amounts of time. Of course, (Y/N) did the exact opposite of that. After all, her friends were waiting for her out by the lake, just as eager as she was to find out what kind of car she'd be chauffeuring them around in.

When she arrived, Trent and Mikaela were already all over each other, and the rest of their friends were mixing various types of alcohol in the back of Trent's car. (Y/N) was never one to participate in day drinking, or any drinking, for that matter. Though most of her acquaintances were already approaching the verge of alcoholism at the ripe age of sixteen, she did find a few good ones that had some kind of regard for their health.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Called Trent, pulling Mikaela close to his chest. "Nice car,"

If she didn't know him better, she might've thought it was a compliment. However, (Y/N) had known, and quite disliked Trent since the seventh grade. "Wow, thanks, Trent. It's almost like I asked."

A few boys laughed with obnoxious "Ohh!"s and Mikaela rolled her eyes. She was out of her element with them, (Y/N) could tell, and she was too smart and too pretty to be around guys like that in her spare time. After being best friends, to friends, to acquaintances, (Y/N)'d come to get a kind of understanding of the girl, and a knowledge that she definitely deserved better.

However, it was none of her business. She passed by the rowdy members of the group and found her two best friends sitting just a few meters away on towels. They were already wet from a swim but were trying their best to dry off and get a decent tan.

"Oh, hey!" Lily pushed her sunglasses atop her curls and sat up, reaching out a hand to smack the girl beside her. "(Y/N)! Did you get your car?"

"(Y/N)?" A red headed girl, Amelia Jane, who preferred to go by A.J. hurried to look at (Y/N). The sun seemed to have brought out even more freckles on her cheeks. "Ooh, let us see!"

(Y/N) laughed but dangled the keys in between her fingers and the girls cheered in excitement. It was loud enough to solicit some attention from nearby patrons, but none of them cared too much.

"So where are we going first?" A.J. asked. "Frozen yogurt? The mall? Let's go to the beach!"

Lily rolled her brown eyes and nudged her shoulder. "It's a school night. We do not have the time to drive to the beach."

"Well, the mall is just right around the corner."

"No," Said (Y/N), even though a night out with her friends sounded more than perfect. "I just stopped by to show off. My mom's expecting me home, soon, actually. And I've got way too much homework to be doing anything fun right now."

"Exactly why you should be doing something fun~" A.J. sang.

Lily swatted her away. "That's fine, (Y/N), do what you need."

"Can we at least see the car?"

"Well, of course. I didn't drive it all the way here just to talk about it!" (Y/N) stood. "Come on, it's right over here."

So they walked, past the group of rowdy teens and to the yellow car parked by the curb. (Y/N) beamed with pride and her two friends, both of whom she expected to be a little less enthused, rushed up to it and got a look inside.