Chapter 12: Fragile Truce

In the haunting grip of her nightmare, Wren relived the anguish of that fateful day. The bruises on her wrists and thighs, though fading in reality, burned vividly in the dream. Her subconscious transported her back to the place where pain had become a companion.

The kitchen loomed ahead as a chamber of horror. There he stood, the man she had trusted, handsome yet twisted, smearing a bagel with a knife that now looked more like a weapon in his hands. His eyes, once a well-practiced mask of charm, glowed with an unmistakable hatred.

"You know, a lot of females would've killed to have a chance with me," his voice echoed, a sinister undertone piercing the air. "I guess you took that literally."

Wren's legs refused to respond, a cruel paralysis imprisoning her in his nightmarish web. The mere sight of the ghost sent terror coursing through her veins. "Please don't hurt me."

As he advanced, the room seemed to constrict around her. "You've got some nerve treating me like a monster," Warner spat. "I'm dead because of you. You're the real monster. Murderer."

She cried out, helpless in the face of his twisted reality. "No, I didn't..." she stammered, but he cut her off with a chilling revelation.

"You trapped me in the woods," step. "You stabbed me," step. "You dragged my body and dumped me into a river."

Wren defended, "you stole everything from me."

"You stole my life. We are not the same."

"You raped me!"

"You murdered me!" he roared.

The echo of his accusing roar reverberated through the darkness as Wren recoiled in terror. With a malevolence beyond comprehension, he lunged at her with impeccable speed, the nightmare unfolding in a grotesque dance of horror.

His cold, dead hands seized her waist, a nauseating touch that sent shivers down her spine. The glint of the knife, now an extension of his vengeance, gleamed in the dim light. The weight of the blade pressed against her throat.

"You can't escape this," fury etched onto his lifeless face. "I'm going to be there when you think no one is watching. I'm going to be there when your secret is revealed. I'm going to be there when you die with torment. You will never get rid of me, Wren Brennan." His voice, a twisted melody of malice. "I'm going to haunt you for the rest of your life."

***

As the nightmare faded, Wren awoke with cold sweat clinging to her skin. The bruises might fade, but the scars on her soul remained. The haunting words echoed in her mind, leaving her shaken and breathless in the uneasy silence of reality.

She needed a glass of water. Anxiety lingered like aftershocks as she left her bedroom to tiptoe down the dimly lit corridor toward the kitchen. However, a subtle glow from a partially open door seemed to invite her. Intrigued, she followed the light, which led her to a bedroom that stood in stark contrast to her own.

In the room, Noemy, Ariana, and Kim sat on a plush bed, wearing silk loungewear that accentuated their flawless appearance. Frowns adorned their model faces, and perfectly plucked eyebrows furrowed in shared concern. Unaware of her presence, they engaged in what appeared to be a serious conversation.

Wren observed in silence from the doorway. It was evident that this room belonged to Noemy. Perhaps it was a telltale piece of decor or a personal item that betrayed its owner. Maybe it was the room's aura of luxury and shared secrets. Whatever the subtle clue, it made Wren feel envious. The hierarchy revealed itself in the mismatch between their worlds, and she stood on the outside, a quiet observer of the hushed exchange and polished facade that masked the complexities beneath.