Chapter 4: Swimming Pool (pt. 1)

Mina was nothing like the rest of the Sisters of Stygian. She was naive and empathetic and viewed the world through rose-colored lenses.

She was a delicate girl who seemed to have stepped straight out of a whimsical fairytale. She possessed an ethereal beauty that enchanted those around her. With her small frame, delicate features, and a bubbly presence, she truly resembled a magical creature from another realm.

However, it was not just her angelic essence that set her apart from a crowd. Despite being 22 years old, she carried a childlike purity that made her seem untouched by the harsh realities of the world. She exuded a rare and heartwarming sweetness that instantly captured the hearts of those around her.

Perhaps that's why she was close to Noemy, Ariana, and Kim. Though seemingly an unlikely match, Mina had formed an unexpected friendship with the Sisters of Stygian. At first glance, one might wonder how she fits into a group that is known for their less-than-kind behaviors. But Mina's role in the group was more profound than meets the eye.

Mina had a remarkable ability to find the good in everyone, even in those who may not always show the best side of themselves. Her presence brought a much-needed balance to the dynamic, steering conversations away from negativity and encouraging her friends to consider the consequences of their actions.

However, there wasn't much she could say to stop them from targeting Wren Brennan.

Which is why, inside one of the dorm buildings, Mina stood outside Wren's door. Her heart pounded with anxiety, knowing what she needed to do. She took a deep breath and knocked softly on the door.

"Come in," a voice called from the other side.

Mina entered the room, finding Wren sitting at her desk. Wren looked up with surprise at the unexpected visitor. "Mina, hey," she greeted awkwardly.

"Hi, Wren," Mina replied, her voice trembling slightly. "I... I need to talk to you about something important. D-Don't worry, I didn't bring anyone else."

Wren's tension slightly loosened. She wondered how Mina knew where she lived, but her suspicion was cut short when she noticed her distressed state. "What's on your mind?"

Tears welled up in Mina's eyes as she mustered the courage to speak. "I want to apologize on behalf of Noemy, Ariana, Kim, and myself. I know they hurt you, and I should have done something. I'm so sorry for not standing up for you or speaking out against them. I can't believe I let them treat you like that."

Wren listened attentively, her expression softening with understanding. "It's not your fault, Mina. You're not responsible for their actions. But I appreciate you coming here to apologize."

"But it is my fault," she lamented. "Even though I wasn't directly involved, silence can also have consequences.

"I feel so guilty," she admitted, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I hate that I've been associated with bullies, even if I'm not like them. I want to be a better person, someone who stands up for others and doesn't just stand by and watch." Her voice cracked. "I wish I wasn't such a coward."

Wren gawked at the girl sobbing on her chair. She couldn't help but admire her extraordinary character. Here she was, bearing the burden of others' suffering and seeking to heal wounds that weren't even hers. Her pure-hearted nature, combined with her willingness to take responsibility for the greater good, exemplified the kind of person she is – one who not only spreads love but also strives to rectify wrongs. It was this rare combination of innocence, empathy, and goodness that made Mina a truly lovable and remarkable individual.