❀ A year of love❀

Let's have a few minutes of silence before digging into the last chapter of this book ...

3621 words :)

TW: X
❀❀❀❀❀❀
Sunday, July 28th, 2024
Scarlett POV

The morning sun streamed through the curtains, casting a warm, golden glow over our bedroom. I woke slowly, feeling Colin's arm draped over me, his steady breathing a comforting rhythm in the quiet morning. I glanced at the clock on the nightstand and smiled—today marked one year since Sam's adoption papers had been approved. A year of love, growth, and countless beautiful moments.

Carefully, I slipped out of bed, not wanting to wake Colin just yet. I padded softly down the hall, checking on Rose and Cosmo, who were still sound asleep in their rooms. As I made my way to the kitchen, I noticed Sam already up, sitting at the table with a cup of tea, her eyes lost in thought.

"Good morning, sweetie," I greeted her, pouring myself a cup of coffee. "Happy anniversary."

Sam looked up, her eyes lighting up with a mix of joy and reflection. "Good morning, Mama," she replied softly, the word "Mama" filling my heart with warmth.

I walked over and wrapped my arms around her in a gentle hug. "It's been quite a year, hasn't it?"

She nodded, leaning into the embrace. "Yeah, it really has. I can't believe it's been a whole year already."

Just then, Colin walked into the kitchen, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He smiled at the sight of us. "Good morning, you two," he said, reaching for a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Colin," Sam replied, her voice still soft but filled with affection.

We sat together, sipping our drinks and enjoying the quiet of the morning. The air was filled with a sense of peace and contentment, a stark contrast to the uncertainty and chaos of a year ago.

"You know," Colin said, breaking the silence, "I think this calls for a special breakfast. How about we make some pancakes?"

Sam's eyes lit up at the suggestion. "That sounds great," she said with a smile.

We moved around the kitchen, working together to gather ingredients and prepare the pancakes. The atmosphere was filled with laughter and the familiar, comforting routines of family life.

As we cooked, Sam glanced at Colin and said, "Dad, can you pass me the flour?" The word slipped out naturally, but as soon as she realized what she had said, her eyes widened, and she froze.

Colin's face softened, a warm smile spreading across his lips. "Of course, sweetheart," he said, handing her the flour without missing a beat.

Sam's cheeks flushed, and she looked down, suddenly shy. "I... I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay, Sam," I reassured her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's more than okay."

She nodded, still looking a bit embarrassed. "I think I need a minute," she whispered, before quickly turning and heading back to her room.

Colin and I exchanged a glance, a mix of understanding and love passing between us. "She'll come around," he said softly, squeezing my hand.

"I know," I replied, feeling a lump in my throat. "She's come so far."

After a few moments, I decided to check on her. I walked down the hall and gently knocked on her door. "Sam? Can I come in?"

There was a brief silence before her voice answered, "Yeah, come in."

I opened the door to find her sitting on her bed, hugging a pillow to her chest. I sat down beside her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Hey," I said softly. "Are you okay?"