Chapter 03

POV Harry

It was another strange morning for the saviour of the wizarding world. Every time he got up in the morning, he had the feeling that something was missing from his life. Sometimes, when he was lost in thought, he found himself making two coffees, or preparing two plates for dinner.

Naturally, he asked his friends, who assured him that he wasn't seeing anyone at the moment. He had searched the house at 12 Square Grimmaud from top to bottom, looking for lost memories, but nothing.

He knew that he had broken up with Ginny, and that the young woman was currently touring the world with her Quiddich team. Although he remembered very well the unease that was beginning to develop between them, he had no recollection of the arguments that took place almost every evening.

He didn't remember the divorce and abortion of the young woman, who didn't want a child in the middle of their war and had preferred to put her career first.

No, she'd been told all about it. Ten years of life to learn. But even though he was close to his friends, and to Amanda, they couldn't tell him the essentials: what had been his hopes and dreams? What did he want to do now? How much had he changed in ten years?

And why on earth, every morning, did he turn round and hug the pillow next to him, as if someone was supposed to be there.

-Maybe your subconscious is looking for Ginny?

Hermione had said to him one day, when he had just poured another cup of tea. He had grunted and settled for that explanation.

The rest of his day was busy enough that he didn't have time to think about it. With Amanda and a team from Aurore, they were actively searching through all their old belongings.

In a meeting room requisitioned for the occasion, the duo were surrounded by files.

-We're never going to make it, Amanda.

-Of course it is! How far have you got?

-The Auel case.

-Oh....

Harry frowned, put the file down in front of him and looked at his partner.

-What happened?

-It's... Um...

He simply raised an eyebrow, encouraging her to speak. He knew it was difficult to go back on certain cases. But it was even worse not to recognise himself, even though his name was on every file.

-It was a delicate matter. Cursed objects, sold on the black market, which came back into the official circuit. We arrested several Death Eaters with it, and dismantled a whole group.

-That sounds perfect! We're super efficient, aren't we?

Amanda smiled contritely. She didn't know how much more she could talk. It was rather strange to have to tell someone about her private life.

-In fact... It was following this case that... Well... Ginny left you.

-Really?

Harry frowned and looked again at the dates written in black ink. It was the year he turned 27.

-Why this particular case?

-Because it was complicated, because you were often at the office, with... me.

-Oh.

The saviour was shocked to hear this. He knew Amanda, and he had never seen their relationship in this way. Especially as the young woman was gay.