19. BETRAYAL

September 13, Wednesday.

Dean meticulously ensured his personal satisfaction by indulging in another blood bag before proceeding to the daily ritual of brushing his teeth, bracing himself for the challenges that lay ahead. His hands quivered with nervous energy as he drove to Ilena's residence, opting not to send her a text or attempt to reach out the previous night-a notable departure from his usual routine. This marked a significant shift, one he could sense keenly. Uncertain if Ilena was gradually distancing herself, he clung to hope. Summoning all his strength and courage, he approached Ilena's doorstep, where he paused before timidly knocking three times.

Upon the door's opening, it was Aqui's visage that greeted him. Startled, he cleared his throat, mustering a polite, "Good morning, is Ilena ready?"

"Mornin', you charmer," Aqui exclaimed with a newfound energy, playfully slapping Dean's arm. "Ilena's all set!" His intentionally amplified voice echoed through the living room, where Ilena, still pondering the events of the previous night, was stationed.

"Ilena!" Aqui's call prompted her response, and a tremulous Ilena rose from the couch, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She took a series of deep breaths, mentally preparing for the day ahead. Today marked her determination to confront Dean and unravel the peculiar occurrences she couldn't shake from her thoughts.

"Take care, and shoot me a text when you're back. I'll whip up dinner." Aqui's smile held a frisky charm as he bid Ilena farewell. Stepping back, Dean allowed Ilena to exit, though she offered him no acknowledgment. A furrow formed on Dean's forehead momentarily, but his attention shifted to Aqui, and he nodded, offering a faint grin before the door closed.

Dean cleared his throat, attempting to address the lingering tension. "So... um... about last night. I had this awful allergic reaction, and I kind of-"

"You didn't want me to see it. Understood," Ilena cut in, exhaling with a cautious nod. Passing by Dean, she headed to his car, her mind swirling with confusion. Recollections of her friends' warnings about Dean resurfaced, complicating her feelings. The complexity of Dean's situation puzzled her, and as she considered distancing herself, an internal struggle emerged. Deep down, she found it challenging to sever ties with Dean, torn between confusion and an underlying reluctance to keep her distance.

The drive to school was silent, with Ilena steadfastly gazing out the window, deliberately avoiding any acknowledgment of Dean. This behavior struck Dean as peculiar, as he sensed that suspicions were creeping into Ilena's mind. However, the thought of revealing the truth about his true nature loomed as a perilous proposition, possibly the most foolish step he could ever take. Unsure about Ilena's potential reaction, he hesitated, unwilling to risk the fragile balance they maintained.

Upon entering the cafeteria alongside Kaia and Ilena, the atmosphere seemed charged with an unusual tension. The cacophony of student chatter reached Dean's ears, each conversation contributing to the palpable oddness in the air. Despite his ability to hear every word, he made a conscious choice to shut out the external voices, an attempt to carve a semblance of normalcy for himself, at least for the day. As much as the curiosity to eavesdrop on others' conversations lingered, Dean opted to withdraw himself from the voices, choosing instead to shear his ears in an effort to feel, for a brief moment, like an ordinary student.

Kaia's countenance tilled with stupefaction as the three made their way toward their usual table, and she expressed, "They're all looking at me."

Ilena, lacking any insight into the situation, sighed, "I wonder why..." Her perplexity mirrored Kaia's, leaving the three of them in the dark about the scrutinizing gazes directed their way.

A sudden voice disrupted the three's contemplative walk, emanating from behind Dean. Uncertain if the voice was addressing him, Dean turned to find a girl with blonde hair and deep blue eyes approaching Kaia. His forehead cultivated in response to the unexpected intrusion.