26. NOVEMBER

November 15, Wednesday.

Two months had elapsed, and during this time, a positive atmosphere enveloped everyone involved. Acey and Kaia had successfully repaired their relationship, engaging in meaningful conversations once more. Jharrett remained friends with Karl, but he took deliberate measures to ensure that Karl wasn't included whenever he spent time with Kaia, Acey, and Ilena. Notably, Ilena found herself contemplating the recent breakup between Makoy and Sarah just a few weeks ago. While Makoy attributed it to things not working out, Ilena sensed an underlying issue. The rift between Kaia and Karl persisted, with both parties seemingly going to great lengths to avoid each other, given Kaia's lingering resentment. As for Dean, after that night he drove Ilena home, they went their separate ways, never exchanging words again and choosing to ignore each other's existence entirely.

Enduring those two months proved challenging for Ilena, as she found herself grappling with a sense of disarray. The days seemed insurmountable, yet she persisted in her efforts to navigate through the emotional turmoil. Despite her determined facade, every fiber of Ilena's being yearned for Dean, and an undeniable urge tempted her to seek comfort in his presence once more.

Meanwhile, the mysterious wave of animal attacks persisted, casting a shadow over Ilena's understanding of the situation between Dean and Jibrail post their breakup. Despite the uncertainty, a flicker of trust lingered within Ilena, convinced that Dean exerted every effort to thwart Jibrail's relentless assaults.

Attempting to shake off these tumultuous thoughts, Ilena emerged from her final class, making her way to the cafeteria to meet up with Kaia.

Taking her seat across Kaia, Kaia assumed the role of the compassionate initiator, breaking the conversational ice with a heartfelt inquiry aimed at Ilena, "Hey, are you doing okay now?"

Kaia consistently posed this question to Ilena throughout the course of the preceding two months, a question that mirrored the undercurrents of concern and empathy in the aftermath of Ilena's breakup with Dean. Despite the emotional tumult, Ilena, in a commendable display of transparency, made a concerted effort to convey the genuine state of her well-being to Kaia. However, the intricate details surrounding the dissolution of her relationship with Dean remained shrouded in ambiguity.

In order to protect the delicate intricacies of her romantic entanglement, Ilena wove a carefully crafted narrative for Kaia, asserting that Dean had not lived up to the expectations she had harbored. While this explanation held fragments of truth, Ilena grappled with a persistent sense of guilt, keenly aware that her chosen reason inadvertently fueled the resurgence of animosity toward Dean among Kaia and their friends.

Beneath the layers of emotional complexity, Ilena harbored a profound secret - the true identity of Dean as a vampire. Bound by a solemn promise forged in the intimate moments of their connection, Ilena refrained from divulging this fantastical revelation to Kaia or anyone else. The inherent fear of being dismissed as delusional deterred her from sharing these extraordinary details, leaving Ilena to navigate the delicate balance between transparency and the preservation of her relationships.

Just like what she used to answer after enduring a prolonged period of concern and sympathetic inquiries about her well-being in the wake of her parents' tragic demise, Ilena finally responded with a brave, yet disingenuous, assertion, "Yes, I'm doing so much better." Masking her true emotions behind the facade of a sincere yet forced smile became a necessity, as her friends consistently met her with sorrowful expressions whenever Dean entered the cafeteria or when they shared the same classroom.

"Good," Kaia replied, although a lingering doubt colored her belief in Ilena's words. Despite harboring skepticism, Kaia opted to keep her thoughts to herself, respecting Ilena's choice to present a semblance of normalcy.