Chapter 9: Aikatsu TV - Phantom of the Cats!

"As you all know, S4 Presents: A Premium Night is happening soon," Satou Dave, the teacher of Wind Dance told them all. "And as most of you may know, our Opening Night for this is being aired on that very show."

He gestured at the poster of Phantom of the Cats.

It's a musical, so it's a collaborative effort between Wind Dance and Bird Theatre. It's also a parody play of Phantom of the Opera and Cats the Musical. So Yuzu and Tsubasa of S4 were the stars of the show, and Kanata of M4 is like the special guest feature.

"As this is our first play of the year, the first years will be helping out with stagework, lighting, and audio visual as well as touching up the final costumes and makeup," Dave-sensei told them. "For the ones that pass today's quick audition, you'll be able to dance as extras!"

Haruka perked up immediately at that. The chance to be on stage on TV! She's definitely seizing that opportunity if she has to claw up out of hell!

-

In this play, Yuzu is the Phantom, and Tsubasa is the protagonist, Christine. This was a perfect role for Tsubasa, since she used to be in the Flower Song Class. Kanata is meant to be the man Tsubasa falls for— or something. Haruka didn't watch the Phantom of the Opera.

As the nostalgic and iconic of Phantom of the Opera murmured over the speakers for practice, Haruka rehearsed the few steps she got to dance with the seniors leading.

They were all in their jerseys, and Haruka loved the work, even tough as it was. They practiced their steps, and then learned the next, and the next. They came up on stage many times, and they didn't have time to linger on too much of the choreography. The seniors had much more to hone in their own parts, and after their stipulated practice time, all the first-years went to help out in prop making and costumes.

"For small things like this, we can't use the Dress Make system, we have to do it manually," one of the seniors told her, sewing in a ribbon around a loose gap at her waist so it would sit right on her figure. "Alright, you're good. If you're free, go take the measurements of the Bird Theatre extras."

"Alright, senpai!" Haruka saluted.

Busy, busy.

-

She had no idea what Flower Song and Moon Beauty were doing— a Fashion Show, apparently? That sounded fun.

But Bird Theatre? They were giving first-years roles on stage, too.

"Ruruka! You got an extra role too?" Ako beamed at the news, jumping to take her hands excitedly when she spotted Haruka across the room. "Me too!"

Haruka squeezed her back, "that's SO cool! We're first years!"

"For the ending scene in the jellicle ball, all of the extras will be in pairs for cohesion," Momoko-sensei told the students as they took their break eating bagel sandwiches, "it doesn't matter what all of you dance, as long as you don't draw too much attention, stay with the theme, and follow the beat. But you have to be coordinated with your partner. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

-

Haruka found Ako immediately. There really wasn't another choice at all.

They got into their teamup pretty easily, but soon realized that they weren't a cohesive duo at all. They worked much too differently.