Chapter 13: An Individualistic Idol

"Calling individualistic idols... This is it."

It'll probably still be shaky at this point, but Haruka has to try. Her first step in producing a completely unique Haruka☆Ruka will begin from finding her own individuality. A charm that doesn't overlap with Yuzu, and not other pop idols too.

If she remembers right, this is canonically Laura's audition to win.

"You're going to participate, Ruruka?" Ako asked.

Haruka nods. "You have something else that day, right? It's fine, I'll go on my own. Something like this seems right up my alley, after all!"

When we're talking about wacky ice cream flavours and bizarre combinations, you can't leave a pop idol out of it!

-

Haruka had always thought, from the time she came into this world, that her preferred brand would be Shiny Smile. But Yuzu's hold and influence on it is too strong— no matter what, she has to break free from Yuzu.

So, taking an example from the Rock-Rock Girls drama, she should venture into new brands to find a middle ground that suits her.

-

"Then what about this? It's rap."

"Laura you can rap?"

"Of course not."

Haruka giggled as she heard the exchange. "Laura-chan, you have such a pretty and stable voice, so you should focus on powerful verses. If you want rap, I can do it for you."

"Eh?"

Three pairs of eyes turned to Haruka who inserted herself into the conversation.

"But, I don't think that's best for either of us, don't you think?"

Laura stared at her for a very, very long moment before grabbing her hand.

"Haruka!" Laura exclaimed, and she ignored the way Haruka blurted a terrified 'where's the honorific?' to emphasize, "you're the most unique idol I know! Teach me your ways!"

"Eh?!"

She came here to surprise them, but she got surprised instead.

-

"I think you're pretty individualistic yourself, Laura-chan," she said.

"But it's not enough! They're looking for individuality! Something that would blow their minds, you know?" Laura insisted.

Haruka looked through the coord ideas and found herself entranced. The bounty hunter one definitely suited Laura the most. "These certainly would look good on you with the right song and setting, but are you sure this audition is the stage for something so adventurous?"

Laura was taken aback.

"You're so weird," she said. "You seem almost excited to try these."

"Of course," Haruka beamed, "bounty hunter Laura! This alien one would be so fun, I want to try it. The little matchstick girl design would be adorable on Yume-chan..."

"What about oriental Laura?"

"That needs a lot more work, so it's rejected for now."

Laura despaired.

"But all of these would require us to do so much. Rather than coming up with all these ideas that seem fresh and special," Haruka says, "how about you just do something that you've always wanted to do, but never had the chance to?"