I: Deck The Halls

"Is this really necessary?" Cinder groans, his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his blackened coat as he shuffles through the large department store

It's Christmas in New York, the sky covered in a tapestry of whites and blues visible from the frosted windows of the store. Cinder rests his body against the person-sized glass, the chill finding its way through three layers of clothes and brushing against his skin.

As much as every carol tries, a New York Christmas isn't as magical as its made out to be. There is no winter wonderland, no sleigh bells ring-ting-tingling, and definitely not any chestnuts. Maybe it's just Cinder's own hatred of the holiday that turns each Salvation Army chime into a deafening screech. Twisting the blues-y tunes playing overhead to sound more like a demonic chant than a loving gospel of the season.

"Hey!" A girl's voice calls, a small hand landing on Cinder's shoulder before pulling his deadened body away from the window's chill.

Cinder glances over his shoulder with defeat as a girl bounces ahead of him with too much fervor, her little body bound to break from excitement. The girl grabs his gloved hands from their place in his pockets, shoving a decorated bag of nuts into his now outstretched grasp with a toothy grin.

"It's Christmas time," the girl, Bellami, smiles. Her large fro bobs along with her as she excitedly bounces in places, hands clasping tightly around her cousin in front of her. "I'm a little worried about the fact that you can't enjoy the happiest time of the year."

"There's only so many New York Christmas's I can handle before wanting to throw myself off the top of the Macy's tree." He groans, shoving two candied nuts in his mouth before tossing back the bag.

"I'm pretty sure you mean the Rockefeller Tree, the most you'd get from a Macy's tree is probably a bruised leg, if even that."

Cinder swats at Bellami's smile, allowing the girl to drag him out the department store and into the main area of the shopping center. Two steps in and Cinder already wants to turn back around, the sight of the main area a bit too much to bear.

The mall is at least three stories tall, each double escalator decorated with a cheap green tinsel slapped with ornaments and festive silver glitter. His eyes wander the length of the mall, falling upon about a million strands of fairy lights, each one giving off a softened yellow glow and a blinding ray of heat.

The few stores that are visible are decorated in fake snow and mistletoe, while a santa or snowman sits at the front to greet the falsely-cheery customers.

Cinder can't help but to choke on the clouds of candied nuts and artificial vanilla that bogs the main level of the mall. It's practically mustard gas at this point, Cinder choking into his gloved hands as the pair make their way to the second level of the mall. Their heels click against the light cream linoleum flooring, the girl ahead of him too eager as she jogs a few steps ahead.

"So..." Bellami starts up, Cinder instinctively tensing up at the sound of her voice. He loves Bellami but Christmas Bellami is a different hell all together. "What are you getting your mom?"

"That woman isn't my mom." It comes out harsher than he meant but the sentiment still stands. "I'm getting Cassandra," he spits out, eyes nearly rolling at the mention of his adoptive mother. "nothing because nothing is what she deserves."

The two enter another shop, Cinder absentmindedly dragging a finger against the rough denim of a pair of jeans as Bellami holds up a shirt against her body.

"Aunt Cassandra may be a bit uptight but she wouldn't have adopted you if she didn't see something special in you. The same goes for your sist-"

He cuts her off before she can even finish the sentence. "They're not really my sisters just like they're not really your cousins. And that shirt isn't your size the shoulders need to be brought in more, here look-" 

Cinder grabs the shirt from her clueless hands, measuring the shoulders to her own and pointing at the large mass of fabric that hangs loose. "It's about two inches too big and the neck needs brought up too it shouldn't hang that lo-"

Bellami smiles as she pulls the fabric away from her skin, folding the shirt over her arm before hunting for another. "And that is exactly why I'm glad I'm related to a family of fashion designers."

"At least you got to get rid of the Tremaine name." Cinder sighs, wrapping the pair of jeans over his forearm before heading deeper into the store. "Cinder Tremaine," he groans, head falling to the sky as he shuts his eyes against the artificial lights of the store. "I wish I was lucky enough to be a Godson like you."

"And I wish I was lucky enough to have even a fraction of the Tremaine fortune. Those jeans are what, like 300 dollars?" She mocks, eyeing the jeans with a cocked brows. "Now, are you buying them or not? I told Auntie I would get you home by eight and I am not disappointing her."

Cinder sets down the jeans, flashing Bellami a short lived smile before grabbing her hand in his, leading them back out into the winter wonderland.

"To the wicked witch we go."

——-
2021 A/N
Hi guys !! This story was written in 2018, shortly after The Little Merman yet I was never able to finish it for some reason. So here I am !! Finishing what I started 3 years later !! I'll try my hardest to stick to the similar short & fun style of Book One that everyone seemed to enjoy so much :D

Which speaking of, if you're here from The Little Merman, leave a quote comment here with an ocean emoji !! :P