Chapter 1: John Dorsey

3:54 am

John Dorsey couldn't sleep. He had been tossing and turning for hours, but despite his best efforts, he couldn't change the fact that this was an uncomfortable bed. In fact, it might have been the most uncomfortable bed he had ever slept in.

Sleeping problems were nothing new for John, for as long as he could remember, he had night terrors. Strange dreams he could never fully understand. Some were recurring, such as dark twisting hallways, large burning fires, and other random things.

Recently, the dreams grew stronger. They became more frequent and eventually transformed into nightmares. John began noticing a change in his old dreams. The previous hallways and treelines now had something hiding in the darkness, a mysterious figure in a dark cloak always standing out of reach. John couldn't even tell their gender as they always were looking at the floor, hiding their face.

John chalked the new nightmares up to his work related stresses. His farming job was making so little money that he was evicted from his home and was forced to stay at a nearby inn that was 4 doors down the street from his old place of residence.

Several hours later, John finally managed to fall asleep.