Chapter 4

A/N:

Enjoy!

Coerced into Altruism in the Dungeon

Chapter Four

Ryuu had heard it screaming before.

Now, however, the indescribably loud sound was completely different. It held such an intense malice, enough to send shivers through her already flinching body, a reaction she couldn't stop herself from performing, not in the wake of the sheer immensity of its imagined presence. That was quick to change as she regained her bearings though, looking to where the noise originated, where that unfathomable being burst into view without pause or warning, nor consideration.

There were no similarities with the person that came before it. Stating otherwise wouldn't be funny even as a jest. Its size eclipsed that of a normal human, no—that of even a normal monster, speed and ferocity it was capable of even more so. In every sense, it was its namesake. It WAS a juggernaut.

"It also may be just a TEENSY bit angrier than last you saw it. But just a smidge. Don't think any one person is at fault though. Yes."

Despite the unlawfully tension free voice that had become the unspoken outlier of their formation, Ryuu didn't tear her gaze away from the black blur that sped past a formation of rock standing impressively amongst its dirt beaten surroundings. Or, it did. The stone promptly exploded into thousands of tiny fragments, the monster treating it like simple shrubbery, like its presence didn't even register at all. And naturally, the distance between predator and assumed prey continued to wane considerably, regardless of anyone's feelings on the matter.

"Oh really. Well. how kind of you to inform us."

With something of a snarl in Kaguya's voice, Ryuu had half a mind to check to see if a glare accompanied it, but she didn't dare. Looking away from that thing for even a moment would be beyond foolish. Not that the alternative filled her contentment either. No, nothing about maintaining her focus on that abomination soothed her. In fact, it made her wonder how that person could continue to behave in a manner befitting his usual, as if the seemingly very real thought of meeting a gruesome demise with the rest of them didn't once cross his mind. Regardless, his ineffable attitude aside, the masked individual had the right of it.

However, 'TEENSY' was a bit of an understatement.

The talons flashed with visible eagerness, just as the one remaining eye seemed to radiate the same. It wanted to kill them. It wanted to kill them all and leave nothing left. Anything less, and it wouldn't be here.

In short order, Ryuu found her resolve flickering.

It wasn't something she immediately noticed, but as a sound that had been nothing but unintelligible whispers before became a full-fledged voice, she was all but forced to. It was her own. It was telling her they couldn't do it, that they shouldn't even try, that just like Noin had, they would all soon be at the Juggernaut's mercy. Who had the right to kill such a creature? Who had the right to deny the Dungeon its blood-filled bounty? Killing this abomination that which had the sole purpose of annihilation, returning home, wasn't that far too arrogant a dream?Wasn't—

"Celty!"

"Yes!"

Ryuu blinked, briefly mollified by the sight of her own kin raising her staff, but...

Right. How could she forget? Her worries vanished, as they were proven unfounded. She had forgotten. She had let fear cloud her judgment, and it dulled her mind. It was an inexcusable folly. Having it charge towards them with reckless abandon, drawing it as close as possible—that was the plan.