Dead Men Don't Speak | Lee Felix

"Perhaps he should have been afraid then, when she smiled and her eyes reflected nothing but an endless, unfeeling void." 

 In which a detective's assistant seeks the aid of an infamous killer to find his missing friend. 

 ◤Disclaimers: Descriptions of violence, murder, injury, and blood. Mentions of death and dead characters. 

Felix was afraid of many things—the dark alley behind his apartment building, the rowdy drunks in the dead of night, the stern department head at the station—but he was not afraid of the gun being pointed at his head

Behind the barrel was a woman he'd only heard of in frightened whispers. The Shadow Front's Left Claw, the burgundy-dressed killer.

"Nice work, detective," she said, and when Felix remained silent, she laughed. "Don't worry, kid, I won't kill you just yet."

Kid? He frowned. He was twenty years old. He'd hardly consider himself a kid.

"Had fun snooping around?" she tilted her head. "Tell me, what were you doing here?"

His snarl was like a crack of thunder. "What did you do with Chan?"

"Chan? Ah, your detective friend."

Felix's blood became ice in his veins.

"Hah. And you think I know something about him?"

"Of course you do," he clenched his jaw. "He was investigating you when he disappeared. Tell me what you did to him."

"That's exactly what I'm curious about myself. Why were you investigating me?"

"What?"

As though the chill he felt coursing through his body wasn't enough, another wave slammed into him.

"Surely you didn't think it would be this easy to track me down?"

It was easy, and it was unbelievable, but Felix had paid it no mind at the time.

"W-Wait..."

Now, though, it felt like the ground was caving in beneath his feet.

"You mean you lured me here...and only to ask that?"

Here, cornered in an alleyway behind the abandoned warehouse which he had been eavesdropping on.

"Look at you. You're quite adept at your job, detective," the humor in her voice was as cold as the gleam of her gun, still magnanimously directed at his skull. "Now, tell me. What were you looking for?"

So what if it was all a setup? If answering her questions would give Felix his answers, then so be it.

"There's a plot of land that the City Council wants to purchase," he began, holding her cool gaze in defiance of the gaping gun barrel, "But the owner is unnamed and the land itself is suspicious. Senior Investigator Bang Chan was appointed to the task, and our investigation led us to you before he deemed it unsafe. One day later, he's missing. And you want me to believe it wasn't your doing?"