BONUS

My steps falter as I approach the room, a heavy weight dragging at my every movement. There's like an invisible barrier, a force that refuses to let me confront the reality inside.

"Go ahead," a nurse gently encourages me, her words attempting to offer comfort. "It's okay," she reassures.

Reluctantly, I step inside, avoiding eye contact with the bed where I know he lays. The room holds an air of sorrow, one that wasn't always here, and a question escapes my lips in a fragile whisper, "What happened? I thought you guys were meant to fix him, to help him get better."

I turn to the nurse with desperation in my eyes. "What happened?" I repeat.

But all she can offer is a helpless shrug and a bittersweet smile. "We did all we could." she admits, the weight of her words forming a lump in my throat.

Did I? Did I do everything that I could? My trembling hand reaches out to hold Ian's, tears silently falling down my cheeks. "Ian," I choke on his name, the ache in my chest growing.

"I'm so sorry," I sob. "I should have been here. I should have never left your side."

Regret outweighs my sadness. I remove the blanket which covers his face, memories flooding my mind. He's still the same boy I changed the diaper of, the same boy I comforted when he cried. He's still my brother, the same one I raised and cared for. My baby brother.

Softly running my fingers through his hair, I whisper, "Goodnight." final tears making their way out. "I know you fought your hardest. I love you."

°