Chapter 1

September 7th 1645
Lancashire England 11 am Monday morning. It was a cool morning, but still very warm from the backlash from a beautiful long summer. In the slave quarters of the Duke of Lancashire's land, came an almighty scream. The scream came from a beautiful slender slave girl, who was in active labor. She is with another slave woman, a bit older than her. She is in-between her legs helping her give birth. "Come now sister I can see the head. Give me one big push." she says to her. "I can't do it Eliza, it hurts too much". The pregnant slave girl cries out. "Of course you can Phyllis. I've had four children, I'm sure you can have one." Eliza says with a smile on her face. Sweat and tears run down Phyllis's face, she begins shaking her head no. "I can't do it sister." She cried out. "Come now sister, just one big push and your child will be here." Eliza tells her, while she strokes her knee to give her encouragement.

Phyllis nods her head and smiles at her sister, she bears down and gives it everything she has left and with an almighty scream she pushes the baby out. Phyllis has tears in her eyes, and she looks absolutely exhausted. Eliza gathers the baby and wraps it in a blanket, she looks at the child and realizes that the baby is white. Which means that her poor little sister was raped oh, so she believes. The baby has bright blue eyes that reminded her of the Duke's of these lands, the Asmall's. "You've done well Phyllis, you've had a baby boy." Eliza tells her with slight sadness in her voice. Phyllis smiles at this news. Eliza is shocked at her sister, to see happiness on her face. "May thy hold him sister?" Phyllis asked.

Eliza smiles at her and then hands her the screaming baby. "Who is the father sister? Was thy forced upon?" Eliza asked her. Phyllis just looks at the baby and smiles and shakes her head no. "No dear sister, I was not forced upon, he is Lord Patrick's child. We fell in love and I gave myself to him willingly." Phyllis tells her. This makes Eliza happy that her sister wasn't raped. Eliza turns to the door of the small room that they are in. "Toby come in here boy!" She shouts out. In a few moments the door opens and a teenage slave boy of about 16 walks in with his head down. "Yes mother." He says to Eliza. "I need you, boy to go up to the castle and tell Lord Patrick that your aunt Phyllis has given birth to his son, is that clear boy?" She demands of him. The boy looks scared. "Yes mother I understand." He says to her.

She looks at him quite annoyed. "Then why is thou still standing there, run and tell him now boy!" She shouts at him. Toby nods and runs off towards the castle. Eliza turns to Phyllis with a smile. "Thy wishes to call him Benjamin." Phyllis tells her. "That's a lovely name sister." Eliza tells her with a smile. Then Phyllis' eyes roll to the back of her head and her head drops to the ground. "Mary get in here now!" Eliza screams. A young slave girl of 12 comes running in. "Yes mother?" She asked. "Take the baby and go outside." She tells her, and hands her baby Benjamin. Once the baby is off Phyllis, Eliza can see all the blood in-between Phyllis' legs.

Tears begin to run down Eliza's cheeks, she begins shaking Phyllis. "No, please don't do this Phyllis." Eliza cried out. Phyllis was gone and there was nothing anyone could do about it. The door flies open and stood there is a tall handsome white man, with long brown hair and deep blue eyes. He looks towards Phyllis and stumbles into the room and collapses beside her body and begins to sob uncontrollably. "Oh Phyllis my love, thy will never forget you." He says to her and kisses her on the lips. Tears running down his face, he covers her face with the blanket. Eliza is just stood in the corner with her head down.

Patrick turns to her. "Where is the child woman?" Patrick asked. "Mary bring in the baby." Eliza calls out. The young slave girl walks in with the child and hands it to her mother and then bows to Patrick and walks out. Patrick looks at the blanket covered body once more than walks over to Eliza and looks down at the child. He noticed that it's white with his blue eyes. "What is it woman?" Patrick asked her. "It's a boy my lord, Phyllis named him Benjamin before she died." Eliza tells him. Patrick nods and then smiles at the baby who looks at him and stops crying. "Hello Benjamin, I'm your father." Patrick says to the baby. He looks at Eliza for permission to hold the child.