9 • Cursed

"Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer! Reporting live-"

"It's getting worse, we're going to have to do something," Carlisle says as he stands up from his seat beside Josie.

Jasper was standing behind the sofa, fingers running through Josie's hair as they watched the news cast from Seattle. The situation had gotten out of hand in a matter of days.

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the kind of damage they're reporting," Jasper says, looking down at Josie who turns her head to peer up at her boyfriend. "Quite a few more. They're undisciplined. Conspicuous..." he looks to Edward to read his mind and connect the dots.

"New borns," Edward realizes. He steps forward from where he stood with Bella in the door way, looking from Carlisle to Jasper.

"What, like... new vampires?" Josie asks Edward to which he nods.

"In our first few months after the change we're at our strongest," he explains, specifically to the humans in the room.

"They're also uncontrollable, viscous and insane with thirst," Jasper adds, his eyes now avoiding Josie's gaze. He dreaded sharing his past with her, but with the coming threat he wouldn't be able to put it off any longer.

"Something to look forward to!" Emmett pipes up from his seat behind them all, shooting a wink at Bella. Bella made an uncomfortable face, avoiding Edward's pointed stare. Josie, who knew they were having a hard time agreeing about Bella's transition, shot her friend a pity smile.

"These new borns aren't trained, but this couldn't be random," Jasper points out, looking to Carlisle.

"Someone's creating an army," the head of the coven concludes. Josie's heart dropped to her stomach at the word.

Not only was Victoria hunting them for revenge, but now there was a vampire army a stones throw from home. Josie thought about her father worriedly, hoping they were keeping him primarily at the station and not out on the streets.

"Oh, now we're definitely going to Seattle!" Emmett cheers all too excitedly. The brawny man was always looking for a good fight.

"An army of vampires?" Bella questions, she'd never heard of anything like it.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Josie adds, piecing together what the boys were explaining.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward says, confirming the girls fears. This army was a direct threat to the Cullen's.

"Regardless of who they are or why they were made, if we don't put a stop to them the Volturi will. I'm surprised they've let it go on this long," Carlisle stresses.

"Maybe they're behind it," Edward suggests, making Josie's skin crawl. The Volturi scared her, just as much as the prospects of a vampire army. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind. He wants us to join him, he doesn't have anything like our gifts in the guard. But he knows we'd never leave as long as we have our family. An army could solve that for him."