xiii. 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐠𝐮𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐝

//chapter thirteen • facing shotguns for gold

//chapter thirteen 
• facing shotguns for gold

A GROUP OF very rowdy and hopeful teens went back to John B's to load the Twinkie with supplies. They'd gathered the longest and strongest rope they could get their hands on to lower John B down the well, they had flashlights and were all dressed in dark clothing to make sure the supposed axe murder couldn't see them in the dark. The closer they got to the Crain house the more neurotic John B becomes, running through the list again and again as if he'd forgot the answer he got two minutes prior. 

"Pulley?" John B asked, going through the list of things they needed to make sure they had.

"Check." Pope answered, closing the backpack he'd put in it.

"Dark clothes?" John B questioned, mostly being petty now.

"Got it." Kiara told him, rolling her eyes at the dumb question. They were all dressed in variations of gray and black. "Flashlights?" She asked, making sure they had one of the most important things.

"Check." JJ answered as the Twinkie came to a stop near where they had parked before.

"Alright, good. We're ready." John B concluded as he parked the van unbuckled his seat belt.

"Let's go get rich, guys." JJ said excitedly as John B got out, walking around to the back sliding door and opened it.

"Go time boys." Kie cheered as everyone moved to climb out of the van. "...And girl." 

"Wait, wait." John B stopped them, blocking the door which made everyone sit back, confused by his action. "I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously. It means a lot to me that you're here tonight." He glanced at Kiara who gave a and eye roll and a smile, everyone was kinda surprised by the sentiment.

"Always." Kiara reassured the boy as she nodded. The group of friends had come so far together, and the real journey of the night had just begun.

"'Course man." Pope agreed softly, cracking a smile as he and John B clapped with hands and snapped in the Pogue handshake.

"My man." John B grinned as they did so before he looked over at his girlfriend. Sarah gave him a warm smile. It had started out as a joke to her, but she was here now, in the Twinkie, waiting for the moment all the Pogues around her got everything they ever wanted. It was moving, and John B, the boy she'd broken up with Topper for, was at the middle of it all, and she was proud of him.

"Alright, we done with the circle jerk?" JJ asked, cutting through the sentimental moment as he squatted on the floor of the Twinkie with the large rope slung over his shoulder.

"Yeah, can we get on with it?" Andrew asked, agreeing with JJ urgency.

"Yeah." Kiara agreed as John B nodded and moved away from the Twinkie door to let everyone out.