Chapter Nine

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

( Terribly Desirable )    ✝︎     ───      09.
Save The Last One.

     MELODY PLAYED with the ends of her hair as she stares out at the field, wearing one of Maggie's jumpers that she had gave her. Despite the fact that they had just met a few hours ago, the two girls had became quite friendly with each other. Melody thought it was because they were quite similar in age. She stood up when she seen a car pulling up, looking around for a weapon before noticing Glenn and T-Dog walking up to the house.

Melody runs towards them, wrapping her arms around Glenn. He places his hands on her back, relieved to see that she was fine and not tied up somewhere. T-Dog walked up the steps, ready to walk into the house.

"Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?" Maggie asked, looking over at T-Dog. Glenn looks over at Maggie before looking back at Melody. She nodded her head at him, walking up the steps. She sends Maggie a smile, placing her hand on T-Dog's arm and helping him into the house while Glenn stayed back to talk to Maggie.

After helping T-Dog into the house, she made her way back into the room where Carl was, sitting down on the chair next to Lori. Lori reached out and took her hand, her grip tight, looking for comfort and reassurance that her son was going to be okay.

"Hey," Glenn says to Rick when he walked into the room, looking at Carl. Rick looked over at him, nodding in acknowledgment.

"Hey," Rick responded, looking back at his son.

"Um, we're here, okay?" Glenn told both Rick and Lori, the tension in the room slightly awkward. Lori thanked him, looking over at Glenn and T-Dog.

Melody watched as Glenn, T-Dog and Maggie left the room, squeezing Lori's hand after a few seconds. She cleared her throat, looking over at Hershel. "Is he getting any better?"

Hershel pulled back the covers, revealing Carl's stomach which had started discolouring around the wound. "They don't get back soon, we're gonna have a decision to make."

"And that is?" Rick asked as Lori placed her free hand on his shoulder.

"Whether to operate on your boy without the respirator."

"No," Melody cut in, looking at Hershel. "No, you can't, he's just a little kid, there's no way he could survive that."

"We can't wait much longer," Hershel said to them, looking between Rick and Lori. Lori gets up and leaves, Rick getting up to follow after her while slightly stumbling. Melody gets up and steadies him, her hand on his arm and sending him a look that asked if he was alright. Rick nodded, gently pushing her hand away and making his way to Lori.

Melody sat back down, taking Carl's hand in hers. Her thumb brushes against the back of his hand, her eyes never once leaving him. A few moments after Rick and Lori came back into the house, Carl began coughing. Lori and Rick rushed into the room.

Carl looked around the room, confused and scared until he seen the three familiar faces. "Where are we?"

Melody moved out of the way for Lori and Rick, giving them some space and closing the door behind her. Maggie looked over at her when she walked out of the room, sending her a small smile. She was just about to join Maggie with helping hold down T-Dog's arm while he got stitches before Lori opened the door and called her back in.

After explaining Carl's state to her, Melody got more blood drawn from her. Rick had put up a slight argument but quietened down when Melody glared at him and told him that she was giving her blood whether he liked it or not.

     MELODY WATCHED as everyone ran out of the house at the sound of a car pulling up. She never thought that she would ever have been glad to see Shane in her life, but unfortunately, right now she was. She left everyone to catch Shane up on what was going on, walking back into the room to see Carl.

Patricia looked over at her, gesturing her over to help her with Carl. Melody nodded and quickly started helping her, getting the equipment laid out to make it easier for Hershel to grab.

Hershel came back into the room which caused Melody to give Carl a small kiss on his forehead before walking out. She sat down on one of the chairs in the living room, running her thumb over her bracelet. She began shaking her foot back and forth, her nerves going crazy while she waited for Hershel to be done.

Many, many moments had passed before Hershel finally came back out. He nodded at her, a slight smile on his face. She got up, walking into the room and joining Carl's side. She sat down next to the bed, taking his hand and holding it.

"When you wake up, I'm gonna get Glenn to find you as many comic books you want," Melody mumbles quietly, looking over at his pale face. "We can play pirates until the sun goes down, we can do anything you wanna do. Hell, I'll even teach you how to use my crossbow again, and we're definitely annoying my dad."

She brushes his hair out of his face, looking for the cloth she had been using to wipe his forehead earlier and gently wiping it against the sweaty skin. "Don't hate me but I kinda hooked up with someone while you were like, dying," Melody tells Carl. "He wasn't even that good at it if I'm being honest," She paused for a few seconds, frowning at herself. "I don't know why I'm saying this to you, you're literally like five, Carl, if you can hear me, forget that I said that."

Melody looked over at the door when Lori walked in, sending the woman a smile as she gets up, leaning down and kissing Carl's forehead like she had done earlier. She gives Lori a small hug after walking over to her. Lori rubbed her back, letting a small smile spread across her face. She was happy that her son was stable.

"I'll let you be," Melody pulled away from the hug, sending her a smile. Lori nodded, going to her son's side where Melody just was. Melody walked out of the room for what seemed like the hundredth time, walking outside and sitting on the steps leading up to the front door.

It was times like this where she missed her family, not just her uncle or her dad, but the rest of her family. She didn't know where any of them where or if they were even still alive. The last time she had seen her mother's side of the family ── all of them ── was on her sixteenth birthday. She looked up at the stars in the dark night sky, clasping her hands together. She began to pray for the second time in her life, the first was the day she had found out her mother was dying.

That hadn't been easy on her, she was still devasted over the loss of her mother. She wasn't just a mother to her, she was like her best friend. That was mostly because she had her while she was still only a teenager herself. She still didn't know how her parents had met, she guessed that her mother wasn't in the right mind when she decided to hook up with her dad.

No offence, dad.