xviii. 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐧

//chapter eighteen • head pain

//chapter eighteen 
• head pain

BLOOD IS STICKY. It runs slower but thicker than water. As someone studying medicine, Andrew knew that Plasma is the liquid component of blood that carries cells and various substances throughout the body. In its natural state inside the body, blood is slightly thicker than water, with a viscosity that allows it to flow smoothly through blood vessels.

Andrew watched Peterkin's blood dry and turn a reddish-brown on his hands. All he could do was stare at it as Rafe took them 'home'. When blood dries, the oxygen level in it goes down, making it the rusty color that stained and flaked on Andrew's hands. 

He couldn't breathe, he couldn't think, he wasn't sure there was oxygen in his brain. Andrew was pretty sure he was in shock. 

And the entire way home, Rafe was wigging out. He rambled and raved about he was protecting Ward, and that there was nothing else he could do and that he was a proactive type of person. 

Rafe was an unhinged and terrifying person. How much substance was he on? Did he realize the weight of this situation? Did he understand what he'd done? If he did, what did that mean? All Andrew really knew, was that he didn't feel safe in that truck. 

When they got home, Andrew's mother was out in the yard, and she yelled at Rafe when saw him. 

Andrew got out of the truck slowly, not sure his legs would hold him when he stood up. Rose's eyes flicked onto him, and she opened her mouth to speak, "Where━" She stopped when Sarah walked around the front of the truck. "Why aren't you on the plane?" 

Great. She gave me a single glance. Andrew thinks sourly. Like that was the worst thing going on. But honestly? A second glance, or a question from his mother would make him feel better, but he got no such thing. 

Sarah's eyes flicked to Andrew, then Rose, before she looked down. "Ask Rafe." She answered before she spun towards the house and Andrew followed suit, not bothering when Rafe yelled after them. 

The blonde went into her room, deeply in shock and Andrew felt dazed when he heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs behind him. Andrew whirled around to see Rafe storm right up to him. 

"Go away." Andrew snapped, backing away from Rafe when he saw the coked up and crazed look in his step-brother's eyes. "Get away from me━" 

In a flash, Rafe grabbed him by the shoulders, and threw him against the old drywall of the Tannyhouse. He must've slammed into a support beam behind the wall, because the sound echoed louder than it should have, and the drywall didn't immediately cave in. Andrew would've fought back but he looked up and froze. Rafe had that same dangerous look he'd had when he had the gun. They were murderous eyes paired with fingers that bruised his skin with how hard they held on.