xx. 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦, 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲

//chapter twenty • we lost them, sorry

//chapter twenty 
• we lost them, sorry

 JOHN B HAD MADE A terrible and stupid decision. As he always did. It was all John B Routledge seemed to do anymore. Make choices he'd regret. Hopefully not this one. He went back to the chateau to the get the gold from Craine's house. In his defense, he'd need it if he wanted to have any money in Mexico.

So the Routledge boy snuck back to his home that was being investigated by cops. Shoupe and Thomas had been inside, finding the gold nugget in a backpack under the bed. They tagged the gold as evidence when they found it and Shoupe realized that the case might have been bigger than just the shooting of a Sheriff.

John B managed to sneak up to his house when he saw the cops come out of his house with the giant gold nugget. Shoupe put the gold evident in his truck before he turned and went back into the house with Thomas.

When Shoupe was out of sight, John B made an on the whim decision to sprint over to the cop car. He grabbed the backpack that Thomas had put in the back before he got into the driver's seat and grabbed the gold nugget, shoving it into the backpack.

When he realized in was in a cop car, he also decided he could just use it as his transportation to the dump where he was supposed to meet his friends and girlfriend. John B hit the ignition button nothing happened and he realized it was because Shoupe's keys were too far away.

So he grabbed the microphone for the truck's built in megaphone to call Shoupe out of the house. "Shoupe, you there buddy?" John B asked. "I think you know who it is. Come on out. Nice and easy."

John B regretted all life's choices when the man came out with his gun raised.

"Wait! Wait! Don't shoot!" John B shouted at the man. "I just wanna talk."

"Alright, take it easy." Shoupe said, glaring down the boy as he walked out of the chateau with Thomas on his trail.

"You gotta listen, I didn't do it, Shoupe." John B promised panickedly, seeing as he didn't want to get shot.

"Calm down." Shoupe told the boy. "Keep your hands where I can see 'em, alright? Now I'm gonna approach the vehicle and you don't run, and I won't chase. I wanna talk to you kid. I'm comin' down." Shoupe said, walking down the steps and slowly approaching the vehicle.

"I didn't do it, Shoupe. I swear I didn't." John B insisted as Shoupe slowly came towards the truck and John B lowered one hand down and put it over the ignition button. "I wanna tell you everything."

"Hey, let me see that hand." Shoupe interjected when John B lowered it but when the man took another step it he was close enough that the truck sensed the keys and John B hit the ignition before he quickly put the car out of park and stepped on the gas, shooting down the driveway in a cop car.