1 - Introductions

Mr. Lester wasn't a bad teacher.

Sure, his subject was boring, and most of his students hated him and his class with a burning passion at the beginning, but by the end of the school year, most people learned to love him and learn enough to get good grades.

As an English teacher, Mr. Lester, more casually known as Phil, had his way with words and was often quite good at persuading people and, in turn, getting them to like him. The only exception in his class this year, had been the shy and quiet student known as Dan Howell.

Now, normally, students like Dan were the easiest for Phil to sculpt into lovely and successful students. Not popular, not a troublemaker. Quiet, intellegent, and ready to learn. But while Dan had all of these traits and then some, Phil had not been able to get through to him yet.

It was already January, and Dan was still refusing to pay attention to his instructing. Instead, he seemed to favour his sketchbook and music, sometimes even just staring in Phils general direction and seemingly daydreaming; and that annoyed Mr. Lester far more than it probably should have.

You see, the problem was Dan's potential. What work he did hand in was amazing, and if Dan was able to pay atrention to his instruction, he would have A's in no time, but he didn't. Instead he was only getting C's. And this frustrated Phil to no end.

Dan Howell wasn't a bad student.

Sure, he never payed attention during Mr. Lester's class, but that wasn't his fault. He loved the class and always came on time, but was never able to focus. The reason for this being his crush on his teacher. He would never tell anyone. He couldn't. But he couldn't deny the fact that his feelings were real either.

He sometimes caught his drawings changing from landscapes to portraits of the english teacher, or all of the love songs on his phone transforming into melodies about his beloved Mr Lester. It was hard to be in the same class as Mr. Lester when he had this big of a crush on him.

He was never able to focus on the lessons, instead, focusing on how well the mans shirt complimented his hair, or how beautiful his eyes looked when he got excited about what he was explaining.

God, Mr. Lesters eyes. He could talk about their colour for ages. The little specks of gold you could see in them if you looked close enough were like stars, the blue tint making it look like a bright sky, the hints of grey adding a slight darkness to the beautiful sky.

But Dan was getting side tracked.

He wanted to do well in this class. He really did. He just didn't know how. How was he meant to focus for an hour long class when looking at the teacher for a mere second sent him into a frenzy of thoughts and butterflies? He had no idea. But he would have to figure it out to make Mr. Lester happy.