𝟎𝟎𝟏. grosvenor square

・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・

CHAPTER ONE, grosvenor square

Maria Dowling liked to think she didn't worry much, there was never a worry line between her eyebrows that would one day become permanent. But if that were the case, then her leg wouldn't be jumping up and down rapidly in the carriage with her siblings on the way to Grosvenor Square. Her mind wouldn't be going a thousand miles a minute as the carriage dawned closer.

It was bad enough they had missed the young ladies being presented to the Queen herself, now they had one hour to get ready for the ball tonight at a good family friend of their's. It was the opening ball of the season, and it was where the Dowling family would be reintroduced into society.

"You're shaking the carriage with anxiety, Maria." Maria's elder brother, the Marquis Dowling, Warren spoke up, flipping the page of the daily newspaper in mock annoyance. "You must settle down, first impressions are a lasting manner."

"We are not meeting them for the first time, Warren, we grew up with these people!" Elias exclaimed from beside the anxious girl, across from the Marquis.

"Correction, we —" Warren gestured with a finger between himself and Maria with a pointed look towards the boy. " — grew up with these folks. You were but a babe when we left. You know no one."

"But they know you and me! We are the Dowling's! Everyone will remember us! Mama and Papa were important members of the ton with many close connections." Elias explained with a studious expression in his face. He thought himself entirely intelligent. "Lady Danbury is even taking us in! We know, as much as anybody, her stature within the ton. They are all expecting us! They've probably set up the finest refreshments, gold silverware and the most grandest ball in our favor!"

"I have no idea if what you said was oddly intelligent of you or either the stupidest thing to leave your mouth." Warren quirked an unamused eyebrow at his little brother. Warren smirked as he hid behind his newspaper. "I'm betting on the latter."

"Hey, I am too smart!" Elias exclaimed in offense, finger pointing at the older man whose chest grumbled with laughter. "And I am most serious! Ugh, you never take me serious, Warren!"

"Do not take such great offense, Elias. You are only ten, you still have much time to learn everything, or at the very least, how to formulate a brain." Warren remarked with smug amusement when Elias's nose crinkled in anger and his lips parted about to protest once again.

A loud groan of displeasure erupted from the girl beside Elias.

"Would you two stop your insistent rambling? I am nervous enough as it is, but your jousting is only making it worse." Maria fell back into her seat in an unladylike way, elbow resting on the window still of the carriage and her palm coming up to rest over her eyes.