My Fiance's Sister

I leaned my head on my hand as I stared outside of my carriage. My mother had arranged yet another meeting with a prince from a kingdom to see if they were worthy of my hand in marriage. This was the fifth prince in the last two months, they were determined to get me married to a rich prince. I could not disobey their orders, I was a puppet in their show, one flaw and I would be get ridden of.

   "Your highness, princess," Said the man escorting me in the front of the carriage, "I am pleased to inform you that we will be arriving to the Addams castle shortly."

   I didn't know much about the Addams family, I knew that they were the royal family of the Northwest kingdom, but other than that there were little to no records of them in the castle library. My mother told me they had never once came to the yearly meeting of the kings and queens of all the kingdoms. It was strange, and I felt slightly nervous since I didn't know what to expect.

   "Darling," Spoke my mother, "Brighten up, you don't want to look so somber in front of them." She said it calmly, but I knew she was threatening me, the look in her eyes told me everything I needed to know.

   I put on my best smile. Being a princess I always had to force a smile whenever I was walking throughout the kingdom or even just walking around the castle.

   My mother smiled, I could tell she felt proud of herself of yet again, reminding me that I have no control over my own life. Being royalty seemed so amazing in a commoners eye, but in a royalty's eye, it's nothing but never ending misery.

    I peek outside of my carriage window and spot the gates to the kingdom. A line of guards were present and as we drew closer they began approaching the carriage. Behind the tall wall and gate I noticed a mountain, I couldn't see if there was anything on top of it. But I saw that the wall wrapped around the mountain as well.

   "Queen Esther," One of the guards, who I assumed was a higher rank because his helmet and his shield symbol stood out from the others, "It is a pleasure to welcome you to our kingdom, please, we have a carriage just ahead for you to follow to the castle."

   My mother nodded and the guards split up and lined up on each side of our carriage. We began moving again. I was slightly confused since normally, the castle was situated close to where the villages were, so why would we need an escort?

   Their villages were rather catching. Back in my kingdom not many people associated with each other, many people resented each other. Fights broke out quite often. Hence why my mother wanted me to get married so fast, so that the two kingdoms could cooperate to find a solution to my kingdoms problems.

    But here, I saw children running around with each other. Parents were happily associating with each other. It was different. A good different. My mother too, was fascinated, I could tell by the way she was practically learning out of the carriage. If I were to do such a thing my mother would call me improper and remind me that a princess is to never do that, but of course, she has her own rules.

   As we left the villages, I noticed a long path ahead of us that wrapped around the mountain. The castle couldn't possibly be there, right?

   The grass going up the path to the castle was extremely dead. Compared to the grass in the villages, which were absolutely stunning, this was horrifying. My mother seemed slightly disturbed and even returned to sitting normally with her hands placed neatly on top of her dress.

    It was quite a bit before we made it to the top. The guards assisted us in neatly getting out of the carriage and the sight was certainly something. It was so...gloomy. I was uncertain if my mother made the right choice with this.