The Princess and her guard

"Enid," Said her mother as the cooks came flowing in with the dishes they would be eating for dinner, "I have some news for you, it may be good, may be bad. It's how you take it darling."

   Her siblings and father who shared knowing glances all looked down at the same time and silently ate their food, Enid shifted uncomfortably in her chair, wondering what could be the cause of the strange behavior.

   "After some consideration, me and your father decided it's best that we hire a guard to be with you at all times." Her mother spoke with no hesitation, no crack, it was a smooth, strong tone, "With there being threats to the kingdom, we can't have you vulnerable. Your brothers are well capable with their training of protecting themselves, hence why they don't need one."

   Anger surged through Enid when her mother finished speaking. She was always looked down on, viewed as a weakling because she was a princess, she couldn't partake in such activities like basic defense training.

   "I can protect myself!" She retorted, "I don't need a guard to protect me, mother, I'm well able to take care of myself!"

   Her mother's gaze darkened, a flash of anger in her eyes, but she did her best to remain calm, which only annoyed Enid even more. Her mother set down her utensils and stared directly at Enid. By now, her brothers and her father had raised their heads slightly, looking between their arguing mother and sister.

   She looked at her one brother who usually would side with her, but he was silent, he had nothing to say. She looked at her father, and he had nothing to say as well.

   "Enid. You are a lady. It's different. You know that." Her mother stated calmly.

   "I'm not gonna have some guard following me like a puppy, I refuse! I can take care of myself mother."

   "Enid Sinclair!" Her mother yelled, at the top of her lungs, causing everyone, including Enid, to shrink in their seats in fear of her, "Enough of this! You have no choice! No say! You will have a guard and he is coming tomorrow morning! You will welcome him!"

   And that was the end of the conversation.

—————
   She woke up to a knock at her door. Still half asleep, she rose from her bed and walked over to the door and opened it. She was met with a girl, only an inch or two shorter than her, had to be the same age or close to it at least, completely armored up except for her helmet. Enid was in a trance as she made eye contact with black eyes that could have sucked her in like a black hole. Enid felt a strange feeling in her stomach, looking down on her so slightly.

   She mentally shook her head back to reality and cleared her throat, "Good morning, are you new to the royal guard? Do you need help? Many new guards get lost on their first day." She said.

   There was zero sign of emotion on the girls face, no doubt, no anxiousness, just nothing but a blank stare that stared into her soul.

   There was a long moment of silence. Enid took this chance to really take in the girls features. She had a very neatly done braid with zero fly aways, her hair was with a dark brown or black, her jawline was strong, sharp, she had a perfect nose, perfect lips.

   "I know where I am going." She finally said, her voice was deep, cold, distant, anything you could name for someone who seemed emotionless.

   "Oh." Enid wondered why she was here then, if she already knew where she was going. She had a feeling, but she couldn't pinpoint what it was. The girl in front of her knew where she was going, so what was she doing here? "What is it you're here for then?" Enid asked hesitantly.