Chapter One: First Frost

Once upon a time, twenty or so years before our main character was born, the tale of Elsa, Queen of Arendelle, and Lord Hades, King of the Underworld, began.

It was a warm summer day in Arendelle. The sun shone overhead, and there were few clouds in the sky. Bright, golden light streamed through the windows of the late king's office. A woman with perfectly pinned-up platinum blonde hair stood before a mirror, her expression one of deep melancholy. Her blue eyes, filled with fear, watched her own reflection. Her hands, pale as snow, trembled as she reached for two ceremonial objects made of the finest silver and adorned with the purest jewels.

Taking a deep, nervous breath, she grasped both objects. Closing her eyes, she began to count to sixty, attempting to hold them for a full minute. Unfortunately, she felt ice start to creep up, and she snapped her eyes open when a comforting hand rested on her shoulder.

The woman of ice tilted her head back to see a tall man with hair of darkness and licking blue flames. He stood with an expression of disappointment. "Elsa, you're too stiff. Your element is yours. Stop letting it control you; instead, you must control it."

She nodded, bowing her head. "I just feel the cold painfully creeping over my being. It's hard not to get overwhelmed. I know the storm inside me is burning to be released."

Hades leaned down to kiss her cheek and hovered by her ear. "Darling, one day, you can release all your pent-up power, but not right now." He moved his lips away and turned to stand in front of her. "It must be in a controlled environment when you are ready to reveal your secret. Today, let's start with your handsome husband, yes?"

Elsa nodded, reaching to pick up the object once more with more confidence. She waited as he counted softly beside her. No ice appeared. Opening her eyes with a beam looking upon them, she set them down before throwing her arms around him. He hugged her unnaturally tiny waist and laid a kiss on the top of her head. She squeezed him tightly, feeling a thankfulness she never expected to have. Elsa never thought anyone would know her secret after her parents, but now she had him, the god of death. He was helping, and maybe the circumstances weren't what she imagined, but what better husband could one get? Being married to a god was not easy to come by, even for a soon-to-be queen.

Hearing the chime of a clock bell, they separated. She straightened her dress while he grabbed a crown that sat alone on the vanity. "Elsa, remember: feel and don't conceal."

"Thank you, Hades, for everything."

Hades placed the crown snugly into Elsa's hair with a grin. "I get to spend a lifetime with you, payment enough." He kissed her quickly before disappearing into the shadows.

Elsa looked at her face in the mirror, perfectly done up with makeup from her maids. She smiled, seeing not a single bit out of place. She was a very orderly woman of twenty-one years. Everything about her always had to be perfect. Elsa had to control what little she could when her life seemed to be constantly out of control. Puffing up her chest, she swung the doors of the office open and proclaimed, "Tell the guards to open up the gates!" From there, she was whisked away to the council members to speak with them quickly. In hushed voices, they discussed her marriage that only the six of them knew of. She smiled, reassuring them that everything would work out for the best.

The council knew of Hades but not of her powers. Her parents always told her it would put her and everyone in danger. No matter how much Hades told her it was false, she couldn't bring herself to believe him. She'd only known him for so long. The council members were wary, but what could they say against a god? Nothing that wouldn't offend the higher power. All too quickly, her ceremony began. She stood outside the great doors of the sanctuary of the church. Everything was decorated in honor of her family crest and her. The kingdom of Arendelle had truly outdone themselves for the occasion. Too bad she would never see them again after this day because she would not open the gates again for a very long time.