Preformance

I woke up late the next morning and expected to find Scott beside me in our only bed, but he was no where to be found. I stood up and searched around calling his name but no voice returned, I started crying being only 8 years old. I say in the apartment and waited, all day and all night but Scott didn't return. I eventually reasoned that he was like our parents, he didn't want to deal with me anymore. I ran down stairs and out of the building, I wanted to run away from everything that had hurt me but I was stopped by a large crowed in front of my building. I pushed my way through and looked at the man in the centre, he wore a mask that painted a smile on his face. I wanted one like that. I watched his walk on a ball, juggle and do trick I had no idea were possible. Once he finished people dropped money in his had and my eyes widened in surprise. that's so much for such a small show! I watched the man walked away happily with all his money. I can do that to! I'll make money and not have to steal anymore! I smiled excitedly and ran off back to my apartment.

When I got there I found the small balls my brother kept for us to play with. I tried to juggle them like I had seen and it took me a few tries to get two going. I set them down and ran finding a blank white max, I didn't have any paints so I just thought about what I wanted to do. After a while of thinking I ran down the stairs and all the way to the bakery carrying the mask in my hands "Mr. Baker sir!" I called out happily and he looked a bit confused "What can I do for ya Jace my boy?" He asked with his friendly smile, "Do you have colours I can use?" I asked smiling. He thought for a moment before looking around and grabbing a few crayons "will these do?" He asked and I nodded taking the red, green, and blue colours. "Bring em' back eh?" he said and I sat on the floor and drew a smile in red on the mask. I took the green and drew around the eyes before using the blue to draw a small tear under happily. "What do you think sir?" I asked putting the mask on and handing the crayons back. He laughed and I grinned seeing his smile "It's wonderful," he said and I nodded "Thank you sir!" I said before running out.

Running back to my apartment I saw the man again without his mask. He smirked looking at all his money "Suckers," he laughed and I frowned running away again. I didn't want to be like him, I needed the money but I just wanted to make people smile too. I ran back to my apartment and looked though what little clothes I had. Eventually I found my brothers old hat and jeans. I wore a plaid shirt that I still had from a while ago that still fit, I hadn't grown much due to my lack of food and other important things. I took the balls and ran back out side tiered from all this running around, I took my hat off putting it on the ground in front of my as I started to juggle with two at first then three as I got better. It must have been because I was so young that people gathered around awing at me when ever I messed up and clapping when I got back to it. When I started to get tiered I dropped the balls and bowed grinning under my mask and looking at all the happy faces. As people walked away they dropped coins in my old black hat, once everyone was gone I took it running back up my stairs. I sifted through like my brother had done counting as I go like he'd taught me. "9.50, 10,25!" I said excitedly and jumped up "Yay! yay! yay!" I grinned happily before a knock came at my door and Greg walked in "10.25 eh?" He asked smirking and I shrunk down scared without Scott to help me. Greg pulled my mask off and looked at my helpless face, "so your a little clown now... How cute," he smirked as he dropped it on the ground and the mask broke in two "Hey!" I shouted as he picked up the money I'd earned "if you wanna stay here you gotta pay," he laughed and walked out.
I fell to the ground and picked up the mask holding back tears. It's okay, I can get a new one. No need to cry because of some bully. I though to myself and smiled happily "it's all gonna be okay!" I laughed and smiled standing up an setting it on the counter looking outside. The sun was about to set and I went to my room picking up the book Scott read to me. I started reading it to myself as best I could "Once apon a time..."