Brother

Scott ran to the bakers shop pulling me behind him. We ran though the door and the old man behind the counter sighs "Good afternoon boys..." He sighs and my brother out 10 dollars on the table, all different coins. I look down knowing its money we stole from people on the street. "Good afternoon Mr." Scott grinned and the man hands him a loaf of bread "Don't be getting in to more trouble, you hear me boys? I don't wanna have to turn ya in..." He sighs "We won't sir..." I say clearly now 8 years old. Three years on the streets had given me time to lean how things work around her, let me fall into a pattern. My 14 year old brother had become my support in everything. Helping me pick pockets, explain things I didn't understand, tell me stories about how awful our parents were.

We left the shop and he rip a piece of bread off for me "there ya go kid." He laughed and I smiled. We walked back up to the run down apartment buildings we live in. When we found them a small family owned the building and they let us stay, they charge us though and it slowly got more to the point we were trying to get as much as we could but we wouldn't be able to stay much longer.
Scott walked into our 2 room apartment. A small living room, bathroom, and bedroom. Just right for 2 little kids. "well... It's getting dark out so you should get to bed soon." He looked at me smirking "awe! Come on! Who's gonna care if I stay up late!" I wine, it was always like this.
"I will, so finish up and get goin," he grinned and I sigh smiling. Scott pulls at the small black necklace around his neck, the Chinese coin handing from the end looks out of place on him, both of us clearly north Amarican. The necklace means a lot though, Our mothers charm, I wonder if he thinks about her... I wish I could remember her from the good things instead of all the hateful things my brother tells me... I would think to myself every time I saw the small coin and how he would pull at it.
"Okay, time for bed." Scott grinned knocking me out of my thoughts and I stood up "Alright..." I sighed when I could hear a knock on the door. Without any response it swung open and I stuttered back. A boy walked it, slightly over weight, dark brown hair and eyes. "oh look at the street rats," he smirked at us and Scott pulled me behind him. "Get lost Greg." Scott snapped and I hid behind him. This boy was Greg, 12 years old but still bigger then my brother and I.
Greg laughed "I own this building, you can't tell me where to go," he smirked and Scott rolled his eyes "your parents own the building, your just a pain." Greg laughed and shrugged "whatever, doesn't change the fact that I need your money," he said and Scott held me closely "We don't have it, we will soon. Just go away," he said and Greg held his smirk firmly on his face "You better, we all know what happens what you don't," he cracked his knuckles and walked out. Greg always tried to beat us up, and normally did to, but Scott stayed strong "Go to bed Jace..." He said quietly and I ran off to my bed.

Scott walked in behind me, "want me to read to you?" He asked smiling, he only ever did that when I was scared or upset. "Yes please..." I replied quietly and he sat down with the one book I had heard a million times. He began telling the story about knights and princess. I loved the stories and Scott knew it, he would always pretend to gag at the sappy parts and spoke dramatically when the characters fought with swords and magic.

I curled up beside him as he finished and kissed my forehead "Good night Brother..." He said quietly and I nodded "good night..." I head him stand up but fell asleep to quickly to hear him close the door as he left.