CHAPTER - 1

Enjoy Reading

___________

The Birla Mansion was a spectacle of grandeur, decked out for Shivansh’s birthday celebration. Laughter echoed through the hall, the air filled with the fragrance of fresh flowers and the hum of conversations as guests arrived. The Birlas, dressed in their finest, were busy welcoming everyone, their smiles masking any undercurrents beneath the surface.

Amidst the buzz, Abhimanyu's phone rang. He glanced at the screen, his expression hardening as he excused himself. Climbing the stairs swiftly, he made his way to his room. After a brief phone conversation, he pulled out a file from his drawer and carefully tucked it into the cupboard, locking it away before heading back to the party, his face unreadable.

Aarohi, watching from a distance, couldn’t shake the suspicion that something wasn’t right. Determined to find out what he was hiding, she quietly slipped away from the crowd and crept upstairs. Entering his room, she began to rummage through his things, searching for the file that had stirred her curiosity.

The sound of footsteps made her freeze. Abhimanyu stood in the doorway, his eyes narrowing at the sight of her. “What are you doing in my room?” he asked, his voice sharp.

“What were you hiding, Abhimanyu?” Aarohi countered, not backing down.

“That’s none of your business,” he snapped, his tone cold as he turned to walk out.

Aarohi followed him, her voice rising with determination. “I have the right to question you, Abhimanyu Birla.”

He stopped in his tracks, turning to face her. “You don’t have any right to question me, Aarohi.”

She crossed her arms defiantly. “I’m your brother’s wife, and your wife’s so-called sister. That makes us family, doesn’t it? Don’t try to dodge the question. Now, tell me—what were you hiding?”

Abhimanyu didn’t respond, continuing down the stairs as if her words meant nothing. But Aarohi wasn’t ready to let it go. She followed him, her voice growing louder with each step. “You always call me out for my mistakes, Abhimanyu. I might have been wrong in the past, but at least I don’t hide things like you do.”

He spun around, his patience fraying. “You’re testing my patience, Aarohi.”

“And you’re testing mine,” she shot back. “Tell me, or I’ll make sure everyone knows you’re hiding something!”

Abhimanyu clenched his fists, his anger barely in check. Aarohi took a deep breath, preparing to shout for the family, but before she could, Abhimanyu raised his hand and slapped her—gently, but enough to silence her.

“You... slapped me,” Aarohi whispered, touching her cheek in disbelief.

“Don’t create a scene and ruin Shivu’s birthday,” Abhimanyu muttered, walking away without another word.

Unbeknownst to them, someone had witnessed the slap. Seeing an opportunity to tarnish the Birlas’ reputation, they placed an anonymous call to the police, reporting Abhimanyu for domestic violence.

Aarohi, still in shock, washed her face and returned to the party after a quick touch-up. She tried to shake off what had just happened, but the sting of the slap lingered, both on her cheek and in her heart.

Minutes later, the police arrived, their sudden appearance causing a wave of shock to ripple through the party. Anand stepped forward, his voice filled with confusion as he asked the inspector the reason for their visit.