Ch.13

I make way through the now crowded room and out onto the chilly stone balcony through the glass panes doors. If only all nights were as blissful as this, the chilly air with no breeze had the intoxicating scent of whatever wining flowers were hanging from the railing. The sound of the fireplace, soft talking and laughter, and the clattering of people picking up and sitting down wine and whiskey glasses. I could get used to this.

    I smiled sadly to myself and lean my forearms crossed on top of the barrier. I let out a sigh and allow my back to slink in on itself. God I wish I could have my father here. I can imagine him now: excitedly chattering on and on about the architecture and the gothic style, or how much everyone was so kind, and how he wishes mother could be here experiencing this with us. And he'd have his arm around me so we both didn't feel the strength of our loss.

    "A thought for a thought, Ms. Rose?" I hear the deep voice speak suddenly and I start before whipping around frightened. It was Chiron.

"Only if you're of unbreakable mental fortitude." I jest as I lean my back against the barrier. He gives me a toothy grin and nods his head.

"Growing up with Quil and Percy I think my Fortitude is adept enough. They were treacherous older brothers." He says with a hearty laugh that warmed almost all the cold dark spots of my mind. He was kind and generous.

"I was thinking of my mother and father. How much I miss them... how much I miss home." I speak into night air my voice trailing at the end nearly a whisper. My gaze fell from him and to my feet.

"You know, I never really thought I'd be here. Nor did I think I'd be offered a place to stay. I didn't have much choice though and ever since being here it seems trouble follows. I just miss my father looking out and being protective. He wasn't overly protective but he was in his own way." I say while looking up at the sky. "Sometimes I wish I had more time with my mother. I feel like the longer she's been gone I'm chasing the memories I had of her. They seem to be getting further and further out of reach and it's becoming more and more heartbreaking." I finished softly as I look at the ground willing myself to not tear up even though a lump has formed in my throat.

     "You certainly held nothing back. What if I had ill intentions?" He speaks with a soft humor hiding in his tone. I glance at him and smirk behind my hair.

    "Oh surely someone with ill intentions would not have allowed me to ramble nor would they have asked me what was on my mind. I'm certain they would have asked specific questions." I quirk and eyebrow with a smirk on my face still and he gives me a belly laugh and I can't help but join softly.

    "You are quite intelligent Ms. Rose, I can see why my brothers allowed you to stay for court." He speaks genuinely.

    "I appreciate your kindness, Prince Chiron. It means the utmost to me that a Prince and Duke of Noxspire would compliment myself. I'm merely a humble plebeian." I say with a bow of my head and give him a bright smile. He chuckles and waves his hand as if swatting away my words.

    "Please just call me Chiron it has always seemed to make conversation and relations strained." He tells me honestly as he leans against the wall across from whilst crossing his arms.

     "Well, Chiron," I start while pointedly saying his name,"I do say Maya seems to be looking for you." I say while gesturing my head in the direction of the windows into the orange tinted room.

     He leans off the wall and smiles at his wife as he leans into the open door with just his head. She sees him and giggles to herself before shaking her head and heading towards us.