Chapter five: the wishes

King Magnifico led Asha into a large round chamber with tall windows and a star-shaped pattern on the tile floor. “You're one of the very few I've ever invited in here.” He said. “But if I'm to trust you, just like I trust Adora, I need to know you understand just how important they are.”

“They?” Asha asked. She looked up and gasped, a sea of glowing bubbles floated beneath the domed ceiling.

“The wishes of Rosas.” The king said solemnly.

Asha clutched her chest, overwhelmed by a feeling of joy and love.

“You can feel them already, can't you?” Said the king with a delightful smile. “Careful—they’re exhilarating.”

He led Asha towards the center of the room, when he waved his arms, the wish bubble descended and swirled around him, the glowing, grapefruit-sized bubbles were cloudy, but when Magnifico swirled his hand around a group of wishes, the cloudiness cleared.

Now, visible within each bubble was an animated scene of the wisher’s most joyous wish.

“Hello, my dear friends.” Said the king. “How are you?”

The images of the people inside the wishes smiled and waved at Magnifico.

“They're so…alive.” Asha said.

“Technically.” Adora said.

In response the people turned towards Asha, examining her with curious, concerned faces. “And now they’re looking at me?”

“It's okay.” Magnifico said soothingly to the wishes. “I invited her, you know I would never do anything to put you at risk.”

As the wish bubble swirled lovingly around Magnifico, he smiled, like a father wrapped in his children’s hug.

“Mmm, Tio, I know you like the wishes but don't be weird, it's kind of embarrassing.” Adora said.

“Right, you see.” He said to Asha, “people think wishes are just ideas, but they are part of your heart. The very best part.” He gazed back at the previous wishes. “Aren't you?”

The wishes floated around him, each one a bright, shining orb of hope and possibility. They represented the dreams and aspirations of the people who had made them, and they were all precious to Magnifico. He cherished each and every one, and he would do whatever it took to make sure that they came true.

“Yes,” he said to Adora. “They are the very best part.”

Adora looked at the wishes, and for a moment, she could see what Magnifico saw. She could see the hope and the potential, and she knew that he was right. Wishes were powerful things, and they could change the world.

“I'm sorry, Tio,” she said. “I didn't mean to be rude.”

“That's all right,” Magnifico said. “I know you don't understand yet, but you will someday.”

Adora smiled. She knew that Magnifico was right. She might not understand now, but she would someday. And when she did, she would cherish her wishes as much as he did.

Then Suddenly, Asha spotted the wish of an elderly man, holding a syringe instrument called a lute. It was Saba Sabino! She followed the wish through the cloud of swirling bubbles, finally, she reached Saba’s wish.

As it settled gently into her palms, Saba was sitting on a bench in the park, playing his lute. He looked up as Asha approached, and a smile spread across his face from inside the bubble. Asha caught her breath, she felt now what the king must be feeling, that she would protect Saba’s wish, no matter what, and with a determined heart, she let go of the wish.

King Magnifico was still distracted by the wishes. “You know,” he said. “I’d love to see someone wish to be the best apprentice and a mighty sorcerer has ever had, what do you say?”

Asha thought for a moment. "I think that would be a wonderful wish," she said. "But I don't think anyone would ever be brave enough to make it."

"Why not?" King Magnifico asked. "It's just a wish."

"It's not just a wish," Asha said. "It's a very powerful wish. If someone were to make that wish, they would have to be prepared to give up everything they know and love. They would have to be willing to put their life on the line."

King Magnifico nodded. "I see what you mean," he said. "But I still think it would be a wonderful wish."

Asha smiled. "I think so too," she said. "And I think someone will make it one day."

King Magnifico smiled back at her. "I hope you're right," he said. "And I hope it's someone from this kingdom."

Asha nodded. "I hope so too," she said.

“So, Adora, what do you say, do you still think that Asha is still boring.” King Magnifico said.

“Yes," Adora said, "I still think she's boring, but it will be nice to have another one with me, even though she doesn’t know anything about magic."

King Magnifico sighed. "I was hoping you would say something different," he said. "But I suppose you're right. It will be good for you to have someone to travel with, even if she is a bit dull."

Asha looked down at her lap. She felt embarrassed and hurt. She didn't know why Adora didn't like her. She tried to be nice to her, but Adora always seemed to find something wrong with her.

King Magnifico stood up. "Well, that's settled then," he said. “Asha, You got the job.”

Asha felt relieved but also disappointed. She was determined to make the best of the situation and prove herself to Adora and prove herself. “Yes, Thank you.” she said, excited.

Adora stared at her. "I'll expect you to start tomorrow," she said. "And don't forget, I'm watching you."

Asha nodded, her heart sinking. She knew that Adora was going to make her life difficult. But she was determined to succeed. She was going to show Adora that she was more than just an ordinary girl.

A bell suddenly rang, startling them both, then they heard Queen Amaya’s voice. “Mi rey?” She called, when she saw Asha in the observatory, the queen’s mouth fell open in surprise, the king rarely brought guests into the wish chamber. “Sorry to interrupt, but it's time for the ceremony.”

“Thanks, my love, Adora, will you take Asha on the main stage.” The king said.

“Of course.” Adora said.

“Oh no,” Asha said. “No, no. That’s okay.”

“I insist, I need to show the world about you.” The king said.

With that, they left the room, leaving the royal couple alone, then Magnifico in minutes, starting coughing.

“You okay?” Asked Amaya.

Magnifico sniffed. “Just tired.”

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Amaya said.

“You know I never back down on a promise and besides, someone's going to get their wishes granted.” Magnifico said.

“Ok!” Amaya concluded.