Writing Contest 2023 - Never Submitted

Alex looked out at the stars, miles above him. So close yet so far. Why is climbing so hard! He thought as he fell again. Looking back up at the stars, he sighed, "It doesn't look like we're getting out anytime soon, kiddo." A scraggly little brunette boy groaned. He only looked 10 or 11.
"Come on! Why couldn't we be stuck in the two-foot-deep hole!" The boy shouted. Alex looked at the boy, and in an attempt to nullify the situation, he covered the boy's mouth.
"Alright David, I'll cut you a deal. I'll spend all my brain power on trying to get us out of here, IF, you stop whining and act like a good little boy. Understand?" David nodded, his mouth still covered.
It seemed as if night was coming faster than normal, Artemis must be driving her chariot at record speeds, Alex thought, growing wearier with every passing minute. Eventually, even he was too tired to function. David had conked out a few hours before and was sleeping on a little mossy patch of the otherwise stone floor. Alex didn't have any better ideas and it was getting cold, so he curled up with his little brother.

...

David awoke to warmth around his back, Probably Alex, he thought. He shuffled to escape his warm, brotherly prison. As David looked up, he started to realize the full scale of the situation he was in. The cavern opening, about twenty miles directly up, was surrounded by steep, almost smooth walls. Handholds were scarce and scattered around different heights, there were many at the bottom, but as you climb, fewer would be there and you'd fall. He'd seen his brother fall victim to this trick a few times. The sun was illuminating the cavern just enough so David could properly assess the lower part of the cave.
The cave was a small circle around the moss and sunlight in the center. There was a small amount of grass in one "corner" and a few flowers that defied all their plantly needs. They were in bloom.
In their small travel bag were just a few items. They had just been on a hike before they fell. There was a small journal for plant documentation, which David quickly started sketching the flowers in; a thin blanket, riddled with holes; a few mushroom specimens; some granola bars; unlit candles with matches; and a book filled with everything you'd need to know about the gods. In short, nothing useful.
David looked at Alex. There were bags under his eyes and he was completely out. David looked in pity at his brother and decided not to wake him, he'd been missing enough sleep recently. He looked up at the sky again, shielding his eyes from the sun. Time seemed to move faster here. Just minutes ago it was sunrise, and now it's nearly noon. David looked at Alex, contemplating giving up. He looked up, one last time.
A hint of green popped on the gray stone walls, it was a vine! About seven feet up the walls. It looked sturdy enough to support their combined weights. David looked back at his brother, the sun already beginning to set and the fatigue slowly gaining more control over his actions. David gave in and curled up into the warmth of Alex, wondering if he'd ever see the surface again.