Chapter 25

May 10th 2023

Wednesday

4:00pm

Carmén and Jahzara had been together for almost a month and it had been everything they wanted and more.

They were always together, not that they weren't before, but even more so. They were closer than they ever had been and they both loved it.

But now, getting into the more intense time of school, with testing and all, they had been hanging out but it mostly consisted of studying.

Jahzara hated this time of year, naturally, with all the end of the year work. She hated all the serious time she had to take after school and work, but since Carmén wanted to do it, she'd be ok.

Carmén took this really seriously apparently because it was kind of her first year doing all the important testing.

Sure there was academic testing back home in the D.R. but it was never this intense for her or all packed in and so impactful, so she was rightfully worried.

Carmén was also testing for her English language course because they wanted to monitor if she needed more than one additional yearof learning English. So Carmén had more than the average student.

Carmén really didn't want to disappoint her mother either. Well she knew her mother wouldn't be upset with her. It was her first year here and her mother wasn't like that in general. But Carmén would feel better if her mother congratulated her on doing well.

The school had offered tutoring Wednesdays and Thursdays, so Carmén had taken advantage of the extra help. This time, Jahzara came with her since she didn't have work.

Jahzara did want to spend more time with her and she supposed the help couldn't hurt.

They had been at the school an extra hour and were now walking to Carmén's house.

Jahzara had planned to stay as long as she could before she had to go home.

"¿Cómo te gusta?" Carmén asked as she held Jahzara's hamd

(How did you like it?)

"It was alright.Apenas estaba prestando atención para ser honesta." Jahzara said in both English and Spanish as she shrugged

(I was barely paying attention to be honest.)

"Jahzara, you should be.Te ayudará. Me está ayudando." Carmén said

(It'll help you. It's helping me.)

"I know. Estaba cansada, eso es todo." Jahzara said

(I was tired, that's all.)

"Bueno, podremos practicar más cuando lleguemos a casa." Carmén offered