【 SIX 】

ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴏᴜʀ ᴄʀᴀꜱʜ ʟᴀɴᴅɪɴɢ, getting directly onto another ship was the last thing I wanted to do. But due to the fact that we'd landed Grievous' ship on the complete wrong side of Coruscant, getting a transport to take us back to the Jedi Temple was essential.

Our ride was served mostly in silence, the only sound coming from the Chancellor's ragged breathing and the crunch of Anakin's in-flight potato chips. The young Jedi Knight had requested snacks the moment we'd stepped foot onto the ship, and the large bag had lasted him throughout the entire flight, meaning everyone had had to put up with the sound of his annoying crunching the entire way.

Anakin didn't seem to mind making a ruckus. Instead, he just looked out of the window for most of the flight, a look of eagerness and anticipation on his face. I knew what he was looking forward to. Padmé had arrived on Coruscant last night after a several month stint on Naboo, and I was sure he was looking forward to seeing his wife again after so long.

Wife... that was still weird to think about. Anakin and Padmé had been married for nearly three years, having been wed just after the start of the war, when Anakin had been tasked with escorting my sister back to Naboo. How we had been able to keep our relationships quiet and private for so long I had no idea. But what I did know was that the effort it was taking to keep my relationship hidden was getting to be exhausting.

Almost as if in reflection of that exhaustion, I sat next to Obi-Wan for the entire ride back to the Temple, my head on his shoulder and both of my hands in his, not caring that the Chancellor was on board. After saving his life--several times--he owed us secrecy, at least.

We arrived first at the Senate Office Building. As soon as the doors were open, Chancellor Palpatine burst off the ship, obviously eager to be back on solid ground. His welcoming committee surged forward to meet him, and they began talking to him rapidly in quiet undertones, obviously discussing his kidnapping and our attempt at a rescue mission. Anakin was quick to follow the Chancellor, but Obi-Wan and I lagged behind. We kept a professional distance as we watched Anakin from the ship's door frame, but Obi-Wan would continually swing his hand so that it would touch mine, sending bolts of pleasure shivering up my arm.

"Aren't you coming, Masters?" Anakin called as soon as he realized we weren't following.

I had to hold back a laugh. "There's a reason I left my family to become a Jedi when I was younger, Ani," I reminded him. "I'm not brave enough for politics."

Obi-Wan shook his head in amusement. "We have to meet up with Kera and report to the Council." He smiled at his old apprentice. "Besides, someone needs to be the poster boy."

"Hold on. This whole operation was your idea," Anakin replied, kindly giving his master some credit.

I stepped forward. "Let's not forget, Anakin, that you rescued me from those buzz droids."

"And you killed Count Dooku, and you rescued the Chancellor, carrying me unconscious on your back," Obi-Wan reminded him seriously.

"All because of your training," Anakin said humbly.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan said, smiling, "let's be fair. Today, you were the hero, and you deserve your glorious day with the politicians."

Anakin sighed, and conceded. "Alright. But you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."

"Ninth time," Obi-Wan corrected hastily. "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."

I grabbed Obi-Wan's hand, pulling him back onto the ship as the pilot prepared for takeoff. "We'll see you at the briefing," I told Anakin with a smile as the door began to shut.