Haunted | Chapter 7

My mother's hazelnut brown eyes meet mine, and for a moment, time seems to freeze. The air in the room becomes heavy, filled with unspoken words and the weight of years gone by. I can't believe what I'm seeing. The woman who abandoned me and my sister is standing right in front of me, and all the emotions I've buried deep within me resurface."Hello, Lily," she says softly, her voice carrying a hint of regret.I can't find the words to respond. Anger, confusion, and sadness swirl inside me like a tempest. My mother takes a tentative step forward, her eyes pleading for understanding."I know I don't deserve forgiveness, and I can't change the past, but I needed to see you," she continues, her voice breaking slightly."Why now? After all these years?" I finally manage to voice the question that has haunted me for so long.She takes a deep breath before speaking, "I've been trying to find a way to make things right, to reconnect with you and your sister. I've made mistakes, Lily, but I never stopped caring about you both."I clench my fists, trying to control the surge of emotions. The wounds from the past are still fresh, and her sudden appearance brings back memories of a childhood marked by abandonment."What about Amber? Where is she?" I demand, my voice sharper than intended.Her expression shifts, and a shadow of sadness crosses her face. "Amber is safe, but she's not ready to see me yet. I understand, and I respect her decision. I hope one day she'll be willing to talk."I shake my head, struggling to process everything. The revelation of my mother's presence, the unresolved emotions, and the scars of the past converge into a storm within me."Why did you leave us?" The question escapes my lips before I can hold it back.Her eyes well up with tears, and she reaches out as if to touch me. I instinctively pull away, maintaining a physical and emotional distance."I was young, scared, and overwhelmed," she confesses. "I thought giving you both a chance at a better life would be the right thing to do. I never meant to hurt you."Anger boils within me, but beneath it, there's a twinge of understanding. The complexity of human emotions unravels in that moment. I'm torn between the pain of the past and the realization that people, even parents, are flawed and capable of mistakes."I don't know if I can forgive you," I admit, my voice wavering.She nods, acknowledging the weight of my words. "I don't expect you to forgive me easily, if at all. But I want to try to make amends, to be a part of your life again. If you're willing."The room feels suffocating, and I need space to process everything. "I need time," I murmur, my gaze fixed on the floor."I understand. Take all the time you need," she replies, her voice carrying a mix of disappointment and acceptance.The door creaks open, and Ms. Grey reenters the room, sensing the heavy atmosphere. My mother turns to her, a silent acknowledgment passing between them."Ms. DeWinter, we can continue this discussion at another time," Ms. Grey suggests, her stern demeanor unchanged.I nod, grateful for the interruption. My mother looks at me one last time, her eyes pleading for a chance at redemption, before she follows Ms. Grey out of the room.Alone, I sink into the chair, grappling with the whirlwind of emotions. The past, present, and future collide, and I realize that confronting the demons of my past is an inevitable journey. Whether I choose to embrace reconciliation or maintain the distance, the scars will remain as a testament to the complexities of family, forgiveness, and the enduring quest for closure.