Chapter 7 - Fighting in Rhythm

The Nautilus user camped at the platform in front of the wide open ball court, while their teammate, the Gal user, laid hidden. The opposing team was taking their time turfing their base, but the Nautilus and Gal waited patiently for them.

Let's see... looks like the other team has a Dynamo, Explosher, Grim Range Blaster, and a Classic Squiffer.

As long as they don't attack all at once, the Nautilus could take them. Surely his Gal teammate can pull their weight, too. However... Those couple of Aerospray users were an issue. They talk so big, but all that RG user did was tremble at base. How pathetic...

Although, maybe he could use her to his advantage? Seems like their snarky comment riled up the rest of the players and they were now going Aerospray hunting. If they focus on her instead of him, that'd give him the opportunity to splat the enemy one by one. A little risky, but it might actually work!

The enemy was coming into view. The Aerosprays must still be covering the base. No matter... They'll be finished soon enough. Until then, he charged up his Nautilus 79 and awaited for whomever would strike first. The .96 Gal getting into a ready stance, as well. This'll make excellent practice for A rank–

H-huh?!

Zooming right passed him, the Aerospray RG user ran ahead, jumping down from the platform.

What the... is she actually planning on heading straight in? Is she crazy?! She'll be fried up and served with chips if she tries that! Was this the same girl who was shaking seconds ago? Even though he planned on using her as bait, this is not what he was expecting!

"Wh-what about the MG?" he asked out loud to himself.

"Right here." said a girl's voice from behind.

The Nautilus user turned his head, finding the Aerospray MG user painting the floor.

"Just following the objective," said Jenna.

"A-aren't you gonna follow your friend?" he questioned the squid girl.

"Nah," Jenna smiled and winked at her teammate, "I wanna see how she does by herself for a short while."

What does that mean? He thought...

Facing the enemy's side, there was an outer platform to the left that connected to the enemy base. As the opposing Squiffer user took that path, they saw some girl from the other team charging straight to the entrance of their base. Raising an eyebrow, they were perplexed by this girl's drastic measures, but after taking a closer look at her, they realized the shiny gold object being held in her hands.

With a sinister grin growing on their face, the Squiffer took aim. That little Aerospray user has a lot of guts going to the enemy's base; running right out into the open and not even trying to act stealthy. It was cute, really. The audacity for her to provoke everybody in the room, only to prove how immature she is by attempting to barge in unannounced. Too bad all that confidence was in vain... The Squiffer user had their index finger on the trigger, ready to send the RG back to spawn.

Speedily, the charger's laser pointed right between her eyes. As the enemy pulled the trigger, Jean tilted her body to the side, the shot barely missing her.

The Squiffer was flabbergasted. How could this be? They wondered in disbelief, my aiming was precise! There's no way she dodged that perfectly!

Surely that was luck... The Squiffer readied the next shot. If their predictions were correct, the girl will have no other choice but to swim beneath the grate blocking the entrance.

Jean painted the ground in front of her, the yellow ink shot through the wire grate, but even if she submerges herself into the ink, she won't be able to hide for long. The Squiffer user tossed out their sub weapon, a point sensor, circling the small area and pin pointing her exact position.

Your move, they thought, aiming for the floor. She can't get out of this one...

Suddenly, Jean kneeled low to the ground, not going into octo form.

What was she..?

Unexpectedly, Jean jumped high into the air, her left hand gripping the top rail of the grate. The opponent lowered their Classic Squiffer, jaw dropping and eyes widening at the sight of Jean successfully front flipping over the barrier, landing gracefully into enemy territory.

Staring heavily in awe, the Squiffer user had never seen anybody jump over that before! How did she learn to do that? Does she take gymnastics?!

No, focus! She's within your boundaries now. Time to finish her off this time!

Turfing at the platform across, the Grim Range Blaster user noticed the Squiffer shooting down at one of the lower pathways.

"Why. Won't. You. Go. Down!" the Squiffer cursed, attempting multiple shots, only for Jean to leap past all of them.

Concerned, the Grim Range Blaster decided to try and help by throwing a burst bomb down the ledge. Jean climbed on top of the sponge against the wall, damp with pink ink as her shoes got a little stuck. As the burst bomb hit the floor, the sponge expanded, soaking up the exploding ink.

By force, Jean unstuck her foot and took a leap of faith to the outer platform. Whilst in midair, she pointed her RG at the Squiffer. The ceiling lights illuminated her back, casting a shadow over the astounded Squiffer user. Looking like the angel of death ascending from the heavens.

"Don't just stand there!" the Grim Range Blaster yelled, "Shoot her!"