1. Making it to the Elite Batch

Making it to the Elite Batch

Thursday, 23rd March 2023
Entering the elite batch

"Sumit sir ka hw hua?..",  I asked Shreyas as he solved my doubt of the Doppler effect.

"Ham toh b1 me hai.", he texted back with a laughing emoji, further stating that he had done nothing.

"A new batch means a new game..new game means a new team…and then new game means a new homework.", he explained his philosophy.  

I was done with my work. Only questions from Arihant were pending. And all i could see was myself standing in front of the class, and Sumit sir would be  asking me to show my homework. And then he would insult me on my first day in that batch, in front of some whom I know and some I don't know. Anxiously, i closed my books and shut down the laptop, playing the gamble of not completing Sumit sir's homework. 

Our first lecture was scheduled at 10. I reached there by 9 30. Papa  always dropped me early. I entered the academy and met my mates from Batch 2. 

"Tanish Bhai batch 1 daalna hai.", Piyush reminded me to change my batch while doing my entry in the register, and we all laughed to it. Entering the class, I could see Shaurya, Ishika and another girl, who was sitting at the first bench on the left. The one on the right side was empty, so i quickly walked towards it and kept my bag on the first bench.

"Waha Aditya bethta hai.", that girl stopped me. Aditya Baranwal, the current topper of our jee tests sat on the first bench which didnt surprise me. I immediately took my bag and went to the 4th bench of the left row. I was a bit nervous and could feel myself going back to the days of 2022. 

It's always difficult to adjust in a new batch. 

I had many thoughts running in my mind along with Saurav sir's warnings about the batch. "Waha Jaa ke bigadne ke chances zyada hai, bcoz waha log zyada hai. Toh apne ko wo bhi dekhna padega.", and what if they don't welcome us in the batch? They had been together for a year and now five students from their batch were sent to batch 2 and  they even  had to welcome 6 new students from that batch.

But the toppers of that batch didn't seem to have that kind of thinking. I was congratulated by Aditya and Soubhadra for making it to the elite batch. 

The class was soon filled by students. And at the back end I could see benches with three students sitting. I had Shreyas beside me. Pranshu was at the back, krish-paramjeet were together, and Shreya D was absent which was never a surprise. 

The next one to notice my presence was Sumit sir, who always shook hands firmly with a hard tap on the back, and he began with ,"Toh baccho aaj ham Jo chapter  padhenge uska naam hai solid state…ye chapter wahi acha kar lega jiska imagination bhot acha hai. easy chapter hai beta aur iske qns bhi aate hai."

All of it just began, when Vishaka mam opened the door and passed  the attendance register to the Class Representative, Divyam Sharma,who was sitting in front of me with Soubhadra. 

"Tanish Bhai…", he silently turned his back and handed the register to me,"Aap karlo ye…", he excused with a smile.

"Do you even know all of them?..", Shreyas questioned me as i opened the register and found names like Dhyan Patel and Aarushi Shrivastav, whom I didn't know. I began by looking around for the students' presence whom I knew, with shreyas guiding me with the rest.

The class was as silent as b2, with no gossip at the last benches which was the only difference. My eyes were on Sumit sir who was  in a white shirt,walking across the length of the whiteboard, stopping to change the slides from the MacBook and then continuing the walk. 

"Beta ek galti aur wapas mayke nikalna pad jayega", my mind kept on reminding me. 

 "Beta iska naam kya hai??..", suddenly the flow broke when sir asked this while looking at the other row. 

I turned to my right and moved her head, she got up. "Ha beta tu…khadi hoja..". Again she moved her head and moved her hair behind her ear,she got up. 

She was in a black jacket and hair which appeared straightened, spectacles and a black mask. 

It was Liza.

"You tell me the names of all the seven crystal structures.", Sumit sir ordered.

"..Uhh…cubic….", she moved her iris to the ceiling and continued,".. tetrahedral…..".

"Oh God …she fucked up there.", I said to myself as it became a topic of discussion till all were silenced and it went ahead.…

"..Cyclic???..",.she continued.

"..cyclic..", I said to Shreyas and  laughed silently, keeping my head down.

"Ha beta ab aromatic bhi bol de", and the whole class laughed at me.

"Abe tu toh bohot gadhi hai..", he began with this humiliation." Don't worry I'll send you in b2 today..That's what we have to do…move all the garbage students to b2. Today I'll talk to Rahul sir." 

All of my laughter vanished the moment I heard it. 'I'll send you to b2'  I could hear only his words for the next minute. I was able to recall all the hard work i did to get here. 'Beta sab mehnat mitti me mil jayegi' i said to myself. 

"Abe tu toh pakka gadhi hai ekdum.", he was not ready to stop. And every time he said this, I felt bad for her. She did nothing, just looked at sir for a second and then moved her eyes down, just like any other student might have done. 

'Bhai tujhe yahi pasand ayi thi??..Abe wo toh soti hai class me,..wo bhi sumit sir ki class me, aur phir gaali khaati hai sir se'

I could imagine myself narrating the entire story to Soham. 

It was one of those rare days when I preferred to have kurkure over samosa pav. Soham, sanskruti, Githika and Sudiksha were hearing the plan Sumit sir had kept for them about how he would begin his Lecture by asking about the three states of matter, then he would ask about the differences between boiling and freezing point.

"If Sumit sir's chemistry lecture was a trailer, the Rahul sir's physics lecture showed me the complete picture."

                            * * * * * * * * *

He entered the class in formals as we all stood up. Standing near the whiteboard, he was looking around. 

"I have made all the changes i could. But remember your seat can be taken away anytime. Nobody in this batch is fixed. Be it the ones who were already there, or the ones who got promoted here. We will start with a score of 180 as our aim and will eventually end the session by scoring 250. Remember, our exam isn't even a year away from here.", his words always motivated me to work hard. But 180 was just too big to begin with. "And I'll not be tolerating absentees.", he mentioned the last point taking the name of a few students which included Maniti, the second Class Representative.

We began with Electrostatics as our first chapter of 12th physics, and the best highlight of the lecture was when sir explained by saying," Abhi agar Aneesh bolta hai ki usko mai pasand hu, toh phir Taneesh bolega Taneesh ko main nahi pasand.".  

"I sort of understood that Electrostatics was the beginning of the series of weaknesses I faced in 12th grade physics."