Chapter eighteen: Briar

Ava asked about what happened while we were trapped. Odin tells us everything from how he was banished to the ghost destroying part of my kingdom. “My mom! What happened to my mom!?” A somber silence happens. We don’t know. She could be hiding or even dead. But I can’t think about that now, I need to save my people and their home.

“Queen Marina came with us,” Arden says. “We separated as she went to look for the ghost. We should find her.” We all nod but then the ground beneath us shakes. We all grasp  onto something bracing ourselves so we don’t fall. The explosion reverberated through the castle, its impact resonating with a force that shook the very foundation of the building.

Ava's voice rang out amidst the chaos “That came from the roof!” Once the shakes from the explosion stop we race out the room, our footsteps echoing through the corridors. We then burst onto the roof. There we see the ghost possessing the young prince of the water clan. “Wow, you managed to make it out of my little world.” Her shoulder slump. “And I worked so hard on making that…”

Ava growls. “Shut the hell up! Why are you doing this?” She looks down to the broken kingdom. “After I got rid of you guys nobody wanted to listen, even after I got rid of the queen as well.” A small cry leaves my lips as my heart shattered. Her words hitting me like a tidal wave. I slap my hand to my mouth as tears fall down my face. She killed my mother, the only parent I had left is gone. Her smirked deepened, clearly relishing in how much pain she’s putting me through. “So I simply made them listen to me.” She sneered.

Then my sadness is quickly replaced by a fiery anger. I wipe my eyes and slap my arm to the side. As we faced the ghost, our eyes locked with hers, a silent understanding passed between us. We would stand together, united. With our resolve stronger than ever, we prepared to confront the ghost head-on, to fight for our loved ones, our kingdom, and the hope that still flickered within our hearts.

“We won’t let you get away with this.” I say. She sighs. “I know, that’s why I need to get you guys out of the way as well.” She then charged a blast of dark magic at us. Reacting quickly, we scattered, each of us finding our own path to evade the impending attack. As I glanced towards Odin, the realization hit me that I was now the only one among us who could use magic. Drawing upon the depths of my lately unused power, I summoned vines to aid me, directing them towards the ghost in an attempt to restrain her.

She however dodged them. Ava and Arden used this distraction and ran towards her wielding their swords. She then effortlessly floats into the air evading them as well. It was clear this would not be easily won. I let my wings unfurl, allowing them to carry me towards the ghost, determination fueling my flight.

I summoned a ball of magic, my actions mimicking the ghost. Soon we release our spells simultaneously. The collision of our magical beams sent shockwaves through the air, causing the ground to tremble beneath us. The force of our opposing powers created a fierce battle of strength, each beam pushing against the other, a struggle for dominance.

As the beams went back and forth all I focused on was the spell. Beads of sweat started to drip down my brow and forehead. The air crackled with the intensity of our clash, our beams refusing to yield, each fighting to reach the other and claim victory.

In this moment, time seemed to stand still as we engaged in this battle of wills. We were locked in a struggle that represented more than just a clash of powers. It was a battle for the soul of my kingdom, for the lives and futures of those I hold dear. Before I knew what was happening I heard her chuckle followed by a scream. I couldn’t really see her behind the beams.

“Odin!” Arden and Ava cried out. “Briar!” The urgency and panic in their voices made my heart race. My eyes darted downward, and my worst fears were confirmed – Odin was falling off the roof. The ghost had seized the opportunity, using the chaos of our battle as a distraction.

I knew in that moment that I couldn't let Odin's life end like that. The ghost's ploy had worked, and now it was up to me to save him. With a surge of desperation flowing through my veins, I ceased casting my spell, letting the magical beams dissipate into the air. The weight of the decision hung heavy upon me, it felt like I was choosing between my people and my loved ones, but I knew that I had to save my best friend’s life.

I flew downward with utmost haste, the wind rushing past me as I raced to reach Odin's falling form. Soon I made it to him and wrapped my arms around him. He clung to me tightly as I started to make my way back up. The ghost's dark magic continued to assail us, another blast hurtling towards me. With quick reflexes, I managed to dodge the attack, narrowly avoiding its destructive force. However, the added weight of carrying Odin is making this really unsteady.

Struggling against the turbulence, I strained to maintain control, blood pumping in my wings. The distance between us and the rooftop seemed to stretch on endlessly, every second feeling like an eternity. I held onto Odin tightly, his life in my hands, as I pushed my limits.

Finally I made it to the roof. My wings started to cramp from the strain. We both fell ungracefully. They quickly raced over to us making sure we were alright. I was gritting my teeth trying to bare the cramp. I need my wings for this battle, I have to do this damnit. “Hey look at me.” Ava’s voice brings me out of my thoughts. “What hurts? Your wings?” I nod .

“You’re gonna be okay, you’re strong so this won’t bother you for long.” In the background I hear Arden asking Odin if he’s okay. He says yes but that he’s not so sure about me. “Watch out!”  Arden's warning came too late as the ghost barreled into me, knocking me to the ground. Panic surged through my veins as she pinned me down. In an instant, she conjured a bubble of water around my head, cutting off my air supply. Desperation washed over me as I fought against the suffocating grip of the water.

“Get away from her!” Ava's voice pierced through the haze of panic as she rushed towards the ghost, ready to defend me. The two engaged in a fierce battle, with Arden joining in to aid Ava in the fight.
Odin comes and with what little magic he has left in him, he pops the bubble. I turn over on my side, gasping and coughing. He patted my back as the water left my lungs. My chest  burned.
“You.” At that moment everyone froze.

There on the other side of the roof was Queen Marina.

“How are you. How dare you take away everything I have. How dare you hurt all these innocent people! I will stop you even if it means I have to kill you.” The icy venom in her voice gave me the shivers. The four of us stood in awe, witnessing the clash of two formidable forces. Both driven by their desires so intense you could feel it radiating off them.

We watched as so much magic and spells were cast. Soon she found herself in the same situation that I was in earlier. I stand up and summon vines again, this time she’s the one distracted. I bind her ankles together. “What?” That was all Marina needed.

The beam struck true, causing the ghost and the body she had possessed to separate. The young prince's limp form fell to the floor, while the ghost herself floated helplessly, stripped of her power. Wide-eyed, she glanced around at all of us, her expression a mixture of shock and defeat.

With a final, desperate look, the ghost vanished into thin air, leaving no trace behind. The battle had come to an end, and we were left standing victorious. As we caught our breath, relief washed over us, knowing that we had triumphed over darkness and restored peace to our kingdoms. Queen Marina, her eyes filled with a cold sorrow, approached the fallen prince. “I cannot even begin to imagine what she’s feeling.” Odin mutters.

Together, we stood in the aftermath of the battle, a united front that had overcome unimaginable challenges. Our journey was far from over, but in this moment, we celebrated our victory, taking solace in the knowledge that all kingdoms could begin to heal, and a brighter future awaited us all.