Chapter : 27💜

"Merry Christmas mom", Irene smiled as Mrs. Kim came downstairs. 

"Oh honey! Merry Christmas", she hugged the girl. "Why are you in the kitchen today?"

"I wanted to cook breakfast for you, dad and Tae today......it's almost ready", the black haired girl turned to open the oven. 

"But they aren't home honey", Eun told.

The beautiful smile on Irene's face faded and she gulped. "They didn't come last night?"

"Hyun did but left early while Tae is at Joon's house for celebration. He didn't tell you that?" Eun asked in disbelief.

Irene faked a smile. "Ohh yeah yeah right....i'm sorry i forgot mom. He actually texted me", she pulled out the plate of loaded baked potatoes. 

"He didn't tell you right? Don't lie to me Irene", Eun sounded serious and Irene sighed. If she doesn't lie right now, Taehyung will get an earful on Christmas from his mother. 

"He really did mom. Actually i was busy with some stuff that it slipped my mind", she smiled brightly. 

Eun stared at her for a good minute and then quietly took her seat on the dining table. "You cooked too much just for the two of us", she said seeing the table full of different types of dishes. 

"I thought it would be good to cook for the festival. It's okay i will put the rest in the refrigerator", she served a plate to her. 

"Where are the servants?"

"I granted them a day off to enjoy."

"That's good."

For a while they ate quietly. Eun kept complementing how well Irene cooked but her mind was somewhere else. Taehyung must be happy to enjoy Christmas with his brother and brother-in-law. It's good he was there and not sulking here, she thought; keeping aside the heaviness of disappointment of knowing that his fiance was not home. Her eyes fell on her engagement ring. 

Everyone was happy except for the two who were on the first step of starting their lives together. The ravenette didn't even smile that day and never returned home that night. 

Irene was well aware that she was the misery of her best friend's happiness. 

The thought alone churned her insides and she couldn't eat anymore. She felt like throwing up.

If she could go back in time and make everything right? Was this her destiny? Was love not etched in her fate?

She wanted to run far away where nobody could see her...could call her name! Where there was no darkness but light. No tears but giggles. Where there is only love and no compulsion. Was that even possible?

She flinched when Eun shook her lightly, "Are you okay?" She nodded, registering only then that she zoned out. "You look pale...what happened?"

"Nothing...i woke up too early."