30

The Nordic spring sunshine was more beautiful than any lyric in the poetry collection on Major Kraulenberg's desk. At this moment, this sunshine was pouring through the wide and bright window of Major Kraulenberg's office, unobstructed. A slightly dazzling ray of sunlight fell on Captain Iser's cold cheeks, but it failed to thaw his icy, iron-grey expression.

"Squeak—"

The moment he pushed open the heavy wooden door of the Major's office, Kraulenberg seemed to shout something from behind, but it was muffled by the sound of the door. Iser, however, had no interest in paying attention to the Major's new taunt. But the next second, he paid a heavy price for his inattention. Those familiar vice-like hands appeared on his shoulder again, and without warning, his head was violently smashed against the oak wall paneling of the office. Then, he heard Major Kraulenberg's roar beside his ear.

"Captain, if I were you, I wouldn't be so willful—"

Just as he opened the door a moment ago, Major Kraulenberg suddenly lunged from behind his desk, pinning him into a dark corner behind the door, pressing one hand against his chest and cornering him with his body. Then, with an angry tone, he continued to growl softly.

"If you don't want to die, stay here obediently."

After saying this, Kraulenberg heavily patted Iser on the chest before releasing him, then crawled towards his desk along the wall in a movement as precise as a military training manual.

In a moment, like a magic trick, a sniper rifle with a Zeiss scope appeared in his hand.

"Kid, a rookie like you dares to cause trouble on my turf."

Major Kraulenberg, while wearing an indescribable excited smirk, skillfully slid back to the corner below the windowsill.

"Ah-ha! Rest assured, this is a rookie, amateur enough to not even notice the reflection from the sniper scope. According to the direction of the light just now, he has completely exposed his position... Just don't move, and you'll be completely...safe."

Kraulenberg, taking cover behind the wall, was fiddling with the sniper rifle in his hand. From the beam of light that had just fallen on Iser's face, he had already pinpointed the location of the enemy. Although counter-sniping the opponent wasn't difficult, there was still a greenhorn office worker in the room. Despite Iser being the cause of his office's unforgettable plunder, Kraulenberg had no intention of letting him pay the ultimate price for his innocent curtains.

Iser, who had been standing stiffly to one side, suddenly seemed to understand something as he looked at the sniper rifle in Major Kraulenberg's hand and hurriedly stepped out from the corner.

"Wait, that is..."

Before Iser could finish his sentence, he was once again tackled into the corner by the infuriated Major Kraulenberg.

"You've already caused my office to lose its curtains! If a sniper shoots you in the head, I'll end up without a carpet too, having to clean up your scattered brains!"

"Ger—hard..."

With his throat tightly gripped, Iser struggled to breathe but managed to gasp out a name.

"That's... Lieutenant Gerhard!"

"What!?"

Kraulenberg raised an eyebrow in surprise.