34

The Major's distraction and Captain Izler's indifference quickly created a frosty atmosphere in the car, making the driver and the orderly in the front seat feel chills down their spines.

Izler, witnessing once more what he had first assessed about Klauberger – a standard old-style Prussian noble officer, albeit seemingly younger than himself – had his views reinforced. Despite the entire incident being a complete farce, Klauberger's actions to protect him were genuine, even if his reason was to avoid getting his carpets stained with brain matter.

"Have you... got a brother?" Klauberger asked, his tone more like talking to himself than addressing the stoic Gestapo officer sitting beside him. As expected, the icy Gestapo officer didn't respond.

"Tap, tap..."

Disinterested in Klauberger's inquiry, the Gestapo officer idly tapped the car window with his slender fingers, which were usually so adept at deciphering coded messages.

Klauberger turned his head in surprise to look at Izler, but the latter didn't acknowledge him. He just quietly rested his head against the car window, his fingers still lingering on the glass.

"Tap, tap..."

The same sound echoed again. This time, Klauberger was certain — the other was using Morse code tapped on the car window glass to answer his question — yes.

After a brief silence, the car was filled with the continuous tapping on the car window glass.

As the two men communicated in this sound-filled yet wordless way, nearly driving the driver and orderly in the front seats insane, the exasperated driver finally stepped on the gas, speeding back to the barracks with the two officers who, stubbornly silent, were happily 'chatting' away.