32

Indeed, the conversation inside the room obviously didn't go well. When Iser was about to leave in anger, Klauberger suddenly lunged from behind the desk and knocked Iser down. The two of them disappeared from the view of the military binoculars. Gerhard, acting quickly, ordered his men to call his superior while he himself led a team to Klauberger's office to rescue Iser.

By the time they burst into the room, the confrontation had ceased, but the red marks on Iser's neck clearly indicated what had transpired before their arrival.

Gerhard was about to leave the office in indignation with Iser, but at that moment, Klauberger's pet wolf-dog, named "Pea Soup," suddenly emerged from a corner and viciously attacked Iser. Without a doubt, this was another of the despicable major's schemes. Amidst the chaos and struggle, Iser was savagely bitten by the dog, as malevolent as its owner.

Currently, Iser, his most valued intelligence decoder, is being treated by a military doctor in the Wehrmacht barracks and, according to medical advice, will likely be unable to work normally for about a week.

"Rest assured — I will take full responsibility for this incident."

The instigator of this bloody incident expressed his profound regret. Facing him is Iser, who is receiving treatment from the Wehrmacht military doctor.

"The vaccine administered today requires a follow-up dose daily for 14 days. Starting today, you can come here for your injection at this time every day." After cleaning and dressing Iser's wound, the military doctor prepared another syringe with medication.

The prospect of being poked like a sieve with needles undoubtedly filled the instigator of the incident, Lieutenant Colonel Klauberger, with guilt. He hurriedly jumped down from the doctor's office desk where he was sitting, asking if there was any other type of injection in the barracks that was more effective and safer than the standard issue, and he was willing to pay for any extra expense. The doctor mentioned another 23-shot treatment that was stronger than the current one, but before he could finish, Iser, with an ashen face, interrupted him.

"No need, doctor. Please let me take the remaining injections with me. I'll find a reliable nurse near our base to administer them daily."

"Oh, young man! That won't do. This isn't a regular injection and has specific storage temperature requirements. Taking it with you like that could affect the vaccine's effectiveness and the body's response. Moreover, this vaccine could potentially cause nerve paralysis as a side effect, so you need to be observed after each injection. Besides, who knows if the Dutch nurse you find is trustworthy. What if she's a member of the resistance, and she swaps it for some poison... No, no, no, I won't let you take it with you. Starting tomorrow, please come here at this time every day for your injection." After saying this, the doctor unhesitatingly plunged the cold needle into Iser's body.

After everything was over, Iser, fully dressed in his uniform, left the hospital without uttering a word. Klauberger, the Lieutenant Colonel, trailed behind him sheepishly, trying to gauge his mood for an opportunity to start a conversation, but he never succeeded.

As they reached the hospital entrance, Klauberger quickly stepped forward to open the car door for Iser, who had an injured arm. This peculiar gesture drew the attention of the surrounding Wehrmacht soldiers, who internally lamented how times have changed. In the traditionally strict hierarchy of the German military, it was now unusual to see an officer being so subservient to a Gestapo member of a lower rank.

Iser hesitated for a moment, glanced at the slightly embarrassed Klauberger, and then surprisingly cooperated by getting into the car.

"I asked Lieutenant Gehard to go back and explain today's events to your superior. I assured him that I would make sure you are returned unharmed," Klauberger said, trying to ease the tension.