Chapter 9 - Ethereal Currents and Unseen Threads

Braids:

After the concert, I had no interest in the post-performance mingling. I didn't crave their muffins or idle chatter. The music had left me drained, and I longed for solitude to immerse myself in the lingering echoes of the piano's melody. With wings outstretched, I soared home on the ethereal currents and alighted on my rooftop.

Oh, what has happened to me?

I collapsed onto my bed, exhaustion pulling me into slumber, but my dreams offered no respite. In the vivid recesses of my mind, I saw Damian, seated peacefully on his bed, engrossed in a book. The dream was surreal, each detail as clear as the light of day. Initially, I observed from above, but soon I became a mouse, scurrying about his room with an inexplicable sense of unease.

The floor felt uncomfortable, filled with the looming threat of a careless step that could crush a mouse's existence. I needed a safer vantage point and scaled the bed's foot. There, I surveyed Damian, my paws aligned for balance. Unaware of my presence, he continued to read. My curiosity propelled me closer, onto the bedding, near his feet.

Tension gripped the dream as Damian sensed my tiny presence. He looked up from his book, his gaze locking onto mine. With book in hand, he lowered it onto his lap, a gesture signaling his willingness to engage with the inexplicable. In the charged atmosphere, still on my hands and knees, I transformed, rising to my feet as our eyes remained fixed upon each other.

We both seemed startled yet intrigued. Slowly, I raised my hand, poised to snap my fingers and teleport myself out of this bewildering dream. Damian, somehow aware of my intent, whispered a quiet, "no, don't." My hand froze in mid-air, and I withdrew it slowly, my gaze never leaving his. I crawled closer, and he welcomed me onto his lap.

Our encounter became passionate, with kisses and embraces, gradually leading to the removal of clothing. The dream grew hazy and intense.

I woke with a start, bewildered and disgusted by the vivid, unexpected turn of events. It was a dream so outlandish, it shook me to my core. A faint glimmer of doubt crossed my mind, suggesting that perhaps Damian wasn't as nefarious as I'd believed. Could he even be befriended?

The thought of sharing my knowledge of the candelabra with him flitted through my mind, but I quickly dismissed it as preposterous. Yet, despite my inner protests, a longing to connect with another human being lingered. Maybe, just maybe, we could be friends.

To clear my head and contemplate my newfound feelings, I decided to leave the house for a long walk in the park. It was the perfect time for some magical experiments, a distraction from the turmoil within.

Braids:

Things appeared brighter, even the ravens took on an unusual pallor. Alright, I admit it, I had cast a spell. I let out a heavy sigh; it seemed my grasp on sanity was slipping, and I couldn't deny the peculiar craving that had come over me. It was like a wolf, ravenous and fixated, but not on sheep, mind you; don't let your illusions be shattered. The notion that wolves primarily prey on sheep is a biased human perspective.

But I digress. Where was I?

Abruptly, the sensation washed over me, and I found myself snapping out of it. I sat on the ground, legs stretched out, my hands firmly locked and tucked beneath my thighs. A rapid series of fluttering blinks followed as I shook off the strange trance. My eyes, once fixated on the distant trees, slowly returned to normal, their dilated pupils shrinking back to their usual size.

Why did he affect me this way, so profoundly different from anyone else? More than I could have ever imagined. My heart continued to race, but I managed to take a deep, satisfying breath. I darted my eyes around, shifting my attention to the surrounding trees.