Chapter 7 The Bear

Why did I choose this song? Because I think we all need to hold onto this promise. Jesus loves me. And being chased by a bear, we can still find our hope that Jesus loves us. Jesus loves you I know!

Our little friend's name was Trumpkin, and he was the most stubborn dwarf I'd ever met.
We were rowing down the boat, heading to the Shuddering woods, where Caspian and his sister were last seen.
We were using the boat, we stole from the Telmarines. Peter and Edmund were rowing, I helped sometimes.
"They're so still," Lucy said, as she looked at the trees.
"They're trees, what would you expect, "Trumpkin remarked sarcastically.
"They used to dance," Lucy said, her eyes lighting up.
"Yes, remember how we used to watch them do so together with the fauns," Ruth grins.
"Wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines came, those that could retreat to the woods. The trees retreated so deep into themselves they haven't been heard from since." He explains.
"Why didn't Aslan help you?" Ruth asks.
"And Why did he let this happen?" Lucy adds.
"Aslan!" The dwarf raises his eyebrows, "Thought he abandoned us when you lot did."
"We're not a lot; we're the Kings and Queens of Old," I tell him, annoyed, crossing my arms.
"And we didn't mean to leave you know," Peter continued.
"That makes no difference now does it," Trumpkin answers.
"Get us to the Narnians and it will," Peter replies.
"And we'll defeat the Telmarines, just you wait; with my well-thought strategies, there's no doubt about it."
"And my leadership," Peter adds.
We reach the bank of the river, and Lucy and I climb out to explore. The others pull the boat out of the water.

I see a bear drinking from the river.
"Verity, remember Cliff that bear who was your most loyal servant?" Lucy asked me, as we walk towards it.
"Yes, what if that's one of his descendants? Probably been told lots about Queen Verity the Faithful, who saved Cliff from a cliff edge." I nod.
"Maybe you shouldn't go near that bear," warns Ruth.
"You don't have to be so cautious, Ruth," I glare at her.
"Hello there," Lucy says softly to the bear.
The bear gives a growling reply.
"It's alright we're friends," Lucy continues towards him.
"Lucy, I think he might be a wild bear," I say, grabbing her hand.
He rears up and growls louder."Stay back, your majesties!" Cries Trumpkin from behind us.
I pull out my sword, and as Lucy screams, she runs away.
I don't; I swing my sword at him while Susan yells, "Get away from them!"
"Shoot, Susan, Ruth, shoot!" Cries Edmund.
I step back, losing my courage, pulling Lucy into a run, who trips and we both fall to the ground.
An arrow reaches the bear, who falls lifeless to the ground, right beside us.
Peter and Edmund run towards us. I can feel tears sting my eyes, but I wipe them away. Peter helped us both up and puts a comforting arm around us.
He pointed his sword at the bear and I did the same, as did Edmund, who stood beside us. Ruth clings to Edmund's arm.
"Why didn't he stop?" Asked Susan.
"I suspect he was hungry," Trumpkin replied.
"What if he was a descendant of Cliff? If he was, how dare he charge at us? I saved his forefather!" I rant.
"Thanks," Lucy says quietly to Trumpkin.
"He was wild," Edmund states, as Trumpkin sits down to cut the bear for fresh meat.
"I don't think he could talk at all," Peter answers.
"Obviously, he wasn't a talking one. I should've known, but I just wanted to say hello," I explain, justifying my stupidity. I let go of Peter's grip.
"No," Trumpkin says, shaking his head, "Get treated like a dumb animal long enough; that's what you become. You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember."
Lucy buries her head against Peter and cries.
"You mean..." I say, "The Telmarines did this to the Narnians."
"Yes, their goal was to exterminate all of us Narnians. They haven't succeeded yet," Trumpkin answered drily.
I touched the Star of David necklace my Jewish friend Sarah had given me. That nasty German dictator Hitler was attempting to do the same in our world. I hadn't heard from Sarah since her family moved to France.
I turn to go, leaving my siblings behind, I hope they didn't see me. I climb up a tree and wait for Trumpkin to finish.
"Verity!" I hear Peter call my name."It's time to leave!"
He looks up at me, "Come on, down."
I sigh, "Couldn't you just leave me alone for a moment."
"You've been up on that tree for more than a moment," he says gruffly, he holds out his hand, but I ignore him."In case you've forgotten, I can get down a tree myself!"
Peter shrugs his shoulders, "Since you're so independent maybe you could go alone."
"You'd get lost without me," I tell him, crossing my arms.
"I'm the High King," Peter snaps, "I should know the very land I ruled once. I don't need an intelligent little sister to tell me what to do."
I glare at him, as we join the others."What's wrong with you and Peter?" Edmund whispers to me.
"I bet you can guess," I remark sarcastically.
"Guess what?" Ruth asks curiously.
"You and Peter need to learn something, Verity," Edmund sighs, "You're too proud about your intelligence and I don't see any and Pete well, he thinks he's in control of all Narnia."
"I agree," Ruth nods
I ignore them. They were just annoying, as always.