Chapter Eight.

𝓐 𝓬𝓸𝓾𝓹𝓵𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝔀𝓮𝓮𝓴𝓼 𝓵𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓻

After the fishing trip, which was a couple of weeks ago at this point, Gracie told her mother the truth about what happened when she snuck out of camp that night. She told her about the O'Driscolls and what they tried to do to her, and then mentioned the man from Valentine who saved her, Arnold Payne.

Gracie didn't realise, but when she told her mother the name of the stranger, Abigail's stomach dropped.

'What did he want? Had he finally found them after all this time and wanted to take Gracie away? Her little girl?' Abigail kept thinking on repeat, but didn't let her daughter see.

Gracie had never felt her mother hug her so tightly before either, but there were certainly no complaints.

A couple of weeks after that, Gracie woke up one certain morning and went through with her usual routine before offering to help with some chores around camp. She got dressed, had some of Pearson's strange looking food, ignored Micah and his weird comments towards her now that he was unfortunately back in camp, said morning to her brother and found Ms Grimshaw hanging up some clothes.

"Mornin' Ms Grimshaw. You need help with that?" Gracie offered with a smile.

The older woman saw her and gently patted her arm, "Mornin' Gracie, dear. Oh, and thank you, but there's really no need. I believe your mother is lookin' for you anyway, apparently it's someone's special day tomorrow."

Gracie tilted her head in confusion at what she meant, but shrugged it off since she really didn't want to get stuck doing some chores anyway. She only offered to be polite. She walked away and past Karen, who was sitting on a box nearby reading something before the blonde woman noticed the teenager.

"Wish I could get outta chores that easy just 'cause it's my special day." Karen spoke up, mocking Ms Grimshaw's voice with a shake of her head. Gracie still looked confused, "Goodness girl, memory loss is supposed to happen when you're old like Grimshaw, not now! Someone's birthday? Tomorrow?"

The penny then dropped for the teen, "Oh- damn it's tomorrow?!"

"Do you not have a calendar?" Karen laughed, "Sweet sixteen, ain't that fun?"

"Fun? How's that fun?" A male Irish voice asked, coming up behind Gracie and practically scaring her a bit. Gracie turned around and saw Sean approaching them after doing his usual morning guard duty. "Our little girl is growin' up!"

Sean slung his arm around the teen, who chuckled slightly, "Calm down, it's tomorrow!"

"When I was your age I was nickin' wallets out of every rich bastard's pocket I could find." Sean patted her shoulder with a grin, "Don't tell me you're too old for that now. Is that a grey hair-"

"Leave the girl alone, Macguire!" Karen swatted the Irishman away jokingly, "I'm sure she's still wakin' up."

"Well, I'll have y'all know that I was stealin' money out mens' wallets since I was eight, thank y'all very much." Gracie snickered, taking Sean's hand off her shoulder with a smirk, "It's my talent."