Chapter Twenty-three.

The group was told by Hercule that they couldn't escape the island just yet due to Fussar knowing who they are and the price on their head

The group was told by Hercule that they couldn't escape the island just yet due to Fussar knowing who they are and the price on their head. It wasn't as if they could just escape on a boat anyways since Fussar called the navy from Cuba, who arrived at the fort on a large warship and kept firing at them. Sadly, Gracie couldn't get involved in the action this time much to her dismay. She stayed with Javier back at camp, who couldn't walk that well due to his leg. But at least she had a rifle, which was cool.

The others managed to sink the warship with a 'cannon' that Hercule and his men had, but also killed the soldiers, who tried to run up the beach and arrived on small boats. After there was no more threat, for now, the gang came back to the camp where Javier and Gracie were anxiously waiting for their return. 

When they all regrouped, apparently Fussar had guns surrounding them for when they tried to leave considering he knew about the bounty on the gang's head. Long story short, to handle that, Micah and Arthur blew up the cannons whilst everyone else killed the soldiers that guarded them. Then they rescued the captain after getting into a fight with Levi, who originally kidnapped Javier, and also Fussar himself, before killing them both.

Gracie yet again missed the action of it all, but she didn't complain this time as she was again staying with Javier, but on the ship. She heard the gunfire blast in the distance, which went on for ages. She was glad to hear that it was over when she saw the gang return with the captain, who was happy to get them out of the place.

Since they actually knew where they were going this time, it was a few days at most that they were at sea first. Gracie said to herself that she'd never set foot onto a boat after this whole drama.

She felt so relieved and happy to see land again, wasting no time climbing into that boat with Arthur and sailing over to Annesburg.

Gracie leaned forward a bit and caught a bit of her reflection in the dark water when she leaped onto the boat dock. Her hair, that used to previously reach the bottom of her chest, was now near her hips, but also her skin was tanned, not painfully burnt anymore. She thought for a moment about the others at camp. What will her mother say? Will she be happy or angry to see her?

She looked up at Arthur as they walked up to the proper path, he had purple bags under his eyes till despite his skin being a bit darker. His hair touched his shoulders and his beard scratched his neck. He still had that ridiculous cough too, but everytime she asked about it he brushed it off and told her not to worry.

There was a horse outside a bar, alone and under the streetlamp that bathed that part of town. Arthur carefully approached the stead, patting it lightly to calm it before helping Gracie up and then himself. The horse didn't holler whatsoever as the pair made their quick getaway out of town and towards Shady Belle.

Gracie had her head resting on Arthur's back with her arms wrapped around his waist. It took most of the night to gallop back to Shady Belle, but Gracie woke up to see the familiar well lit roads and then the line of trees that led to the large house. Her hopes deflated when she saw the whole place abandoned, but what did she expect?