1.10

Percy and Amaya walked back down the stairs and into the basement, Amaya took a deep breath closing her eyes and grounding herself while trying to blocking out the spirts. Percy placed a hand on her shoulder briefly squeezing it before walking over to Grover and Annabeth who stood side by side staring at a statue.

"What is it?" Amaya asked Grover, her voice soft and sweet.

"Uncle Ferdinand." Grover answered, his eyes glossy and wet from tears.

"Oh, no." Percy spoke from beside him.

"Grover, I'm so sorry." Amaya apologized, a sad look coming across her face as she watched one of her best friends' morn his uncle. Annabeth stood next to Grover, one of her hands rested on his shoulder in comfort.

"This is as far as he got on his quest. We aren't even to Trenton. But look at him. He's not like the others, he...he doesn't look afraid." Grover spoke a small smile on his face as he remembered everything he did with his uncle. "You used the, um, you used the head to get rid of Alecto?" He asked clearing his throat.

"Yeah." Percy answered nodding his head and looking at his friend with a sense of concern in his eyes.

"Good. That was the right move." Grover stated before whipping his eyes and continuing "Uh, we should probably get going. It'll be dark soon."

"But what are we going to do with the head? I just took down a Fury with it and I wasn't even trying. We can't just leave it here for someone to find. Leave the hat on and bury it in the basement, that oughta keep it safe." Percy reasoned.

"...Sure" Annabeth said after staying silent for a second. "Now can we talk about the bigger issue here?" Annabeth asked looking straight at Percy.

"What bigger issue?" Percy asked shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

"You could have saved your mother?" Annabeth accused quoting Medusa, moving to stand behind Grover so that she could face Percy fully. "That's what she said to you, like you discussed it already. Is your mother still alive?"

Percy too moved behind Grover to face Annabeth. "She's with Hades" The blonde said, his eyes flicking to Amaya for a second before going back to Annabeth. "But I apricate your concern." He finished.

"Guys, just please stop." Grover pleaded from where he stood still in front of his Uncle Ferdinand. Amaya placed a hand on his shoulder giving it a quick squeeze before moving from his side to stand across from Grover and next to Annabeth and Percy.

"Oh, I'm concerned. What are you actually doing on this quest? And why did I have to hear this from Medusa?" Annabeth accused.

"Okay, while were at it, 'You should have accepted my offer?' What's that about do you think? And why do we have to hear it from Alecto?" His eyes now flicking between both girls.

"Enough!" Grover demanded causing all three teens to turn and face him. "The hat was a gift from her mother. It's the only thing she's ever possessed that connects them. That oughta matter to you." He said in a slightly softer tone. Percy looked to Annabeth briefly before turning back to Grover.

"Okay, but how are we gonna make sure this thing is safe?" Percy asked.

"I'm not up to that yet." Grover stated. "And you, really?" Grover asked sarcastically turning to look at Annabeth. "His mom's alive. Can you imagine how confusing that must be for him? Feeling like he might have to chose between the fate of the world and the fate of the only person who's ever cared about him?"

"Why are you talking like this?" Annabeth asked, slightly taken aback from the sudden outburst.

"Because all day I've been trying to keep this quest on track without upsetting either of you." Grover exclaimed his voice raised as he gestured between Percy and Annabeth. "But maybe things need to get a little upsetting before they move forward."