The Flats

Lis silently sat sipping her tea, eyes focused on the table in front of her. The grungy window beside her the only source of light on this dreary day.

England, in her typical temper, had spent the last month and a half pouring rain outside. It made no difference to Lis. If anything it was a reflection of how she felt inside. It had been almost two months since she left her home, left Tommy, in the middle of the night and her heart felt like it was drowning.

She had been tempted countless times to write Tommy a letter, confessing everything and emphatically apologize, but selfishly she could never bring herself to do it knowing that Tommy would despise her in the end-- as he should.

Roger and Jacob had moved her to a new set of flats an hour's drive by motorcar away. With little more instruction than to manage the flats, Lis spent most of her time sitting at this table with a cup of tea and a book.

Her own flat was small and a dingy gray, matching every other one in the building, but she was thankful that it sat at the top of the stairs rather than at the bottom where Ada and baby Karl now resided.

Ada had shown up at her building a fortnight ago asking for a place to stay, claiming Tommy had sold Freddie out the day of their child's birth. Lis couldn't bring herself to believe it but kept her thoughts to herself, instead showing the woman and her boy the flat just down the stairs from her own, encouraging the woman to pop by or holler if she ever needed anything.

Two days after Ada's arrival, a man had knocked on Lis' door inquiring if she knew if a Miss Ada Shelby lived in the flats. Knowing immediately this was a Peaky Blinders man, Lis had kept the door partially closed, hiding her face as much as possible. She couldn't risk him recognizing her and her location getting back to Tommy.

Playing the part of a frightened and timid woman, Lis had raised her voice pitch and quickly responded that there was no Ada Shelby there and shut the door as soon as the man touched his cap with a nod and left.

She hadn't lied. Ada Shelby was not the woman occupying the flat below. Ada Thorne was.

The soft thud of something small falling against her door brought Lis' eyes up from the empty cup in front of her. She remained quiet and seated as she listened to heeled footsteps descend the stairs outside her door.

Polly's muffled voice reached her ears from below. With a sigh, Lis pressed against the table with both hands and lifted herself from her seat. Aunt Polly had been here a few days before, offering Ada and Karl some fresh food. She knew Ada wasn't going to open the door for her relative.

How Polly had discovered Ada's residence here, she didn't know, but since no Shelby brothers had made an appearance kicking in doors, Lis assumed Polly hadn't informed them. Of that she was infinitely glad. Both for Ada's sake and her own. If any of the Shelby brothers came looking for Ada, unlike their dunce runner men, they'd undoubtedly find her.

Lis walked to her door, her steps matching those of the woman's ascending back up the steps. She opened the front door the same moment Aunt Polly reached to take up her umbrella.

The older woman quickly stood, an apologetic look on her face quickly giving way to surprise when she saw Lis standing there.

"Still not taking the food is she?" Lis asked, leaning forward slightly to look down the stairs at the fresh basket of food now sat by Ada's door.

Thankfully Polly played along, leaving aside all the questions Lis was sure were shooting through her head. "She's not taking what I've left," the woman said, lifting the basket of spoiled food she now carried. "Tell me she's at least eating?"

Lis finally met Polly's gaze. With a small nod Lis responded, "I make sure to check in on her every day or so. I'm not able to get her fresh eggs like you can, but I get her what I can."

Aunt Polly nodded her head in thanks, turning it to look back down at Ada's door.

Lis' eyes drifted past Polly's shoulder and landed on Jacob's stern face. He stood on the other side of the pathway, leaned back against his door frame, head turned down, a smoking cigarette between his lips. Though he never looked up, she knew he was well aware of the two woman stood there.

Polly's soft voice brought Lis' attention back, "Is he always such a friendly neighbor?"

Lis saw the concern in Polly's eyes, but made no move to respond. When it became clear to Polly she'd receive no answer, she spoke up again. "Lavender, love."

Lis' brows scrunched in confusion. "Pardon?"

"A lavender colored base. It'll help cover the yellow of the bruises." Polly's eyes drifted down to Lis' neckline. From reflex, Lis pulled her black colored cardigan closed around her neck. The look in Polly's eyes stopped the excuse on the tip of Lis' tongue. The look that was filled with sympathy and pity towards Lis. The younger woman's face fell into a blank one.

"Don't do that, Pol." Lis' voice was clipped, almost icy, causing Polly's head to slightly flinch back in surprise. "If you knew me, you'd know I'm only dealt what I'm deserved. Your pity is wasted on me."

Lis took a calming breath as she felt tears begin to pool in her eyes and changed the subject. "I'll try to convince Ada to at least open the door for you next time." With a quick nod, Lis closed the door between the two women.

Lis leaned her back against the door, taking a shuddering breath as she slid down to the floor, wrapping her arms around her waist, listening to the sound of heels clicking fade into the distance. Clenching her eyes, she tried to stop the tears that fought for freedom down her cheeks, but it was no use.

As the door had closed, Lis had seen the look on Polly's face. It had been just a second's worth of a glance but it had been enough. It was the look of a mother that wished her child would understand that she was worth something, that she didn't deserve the pain she was going through. And a small voice in the back of Lis' head, a voice that sounded so much like her beloved brother, Robbie, was screaming that Polly was right. 

She had made mistakes, she had deceived loved ones. 

But none of them were within her control to refuse.

And none were worthy of the punishment she endured for the entertainment of her step brothers and their acquaintances.

But Lis wouldn't let that voice have reign. 

She couldn't.

It was so much easier to endure the pain and suffering if she believed it was all she was worth. That every scream, every blow, every unwelcomed touch, every bruise was deserved. 

Because if she believed she deserved it, she found it easier to endure. 

There was no 'other life' for her anymore. Her step brothers would make sure of it. Their pockets ran too deep, their connections too far, for her to be able to escape. By marrying into this family, Lis' mother had condemned her future to that of a pawn for the heads of the family and nothing more.

But she still had time to save someone else from throwing their future away from stubborn pride.

Swiping at her cheeks with the back of her hand, Lis took a deep breath and stood. Straightening her clothes out, making sure her bruises remained hidden, Lis opened her front door and, noticing Jacob was now gone, started down the steps with a determined air.

With a deep breath, Lis raised her hand and pounded three times on the door, demanding Ada open it to her.